1. Please note effective Jan 27, 2020 the BCNL Public Forums will no longer allow new threads or comments. The content will remain for review for the time being as we work towards creating an up-to-date FAQ based on the information shared in the forums. Registered BCNL customers will still have access to the Members Only Forums where we will be pleased to support you.

Mantis Buffered Nutrients - Test Run

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by docgreen, Mar 29, 2019.

?

Have you heard of or used Mantis previously?

1. Heard of it

25.0%
  2. Used it - And would again

50.0%
  3. Used it - But never again

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Would consider using it

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. docgreen

docgreen IG: @rangi_kijani

Thanks @Farmer J. Re-reading my “kickass” descriptor, I realize it was a bit over the top lol. Probably a bit of defensiveness shining through ... another of my personal quirks lol.

I’m excited to try new strains, especially after the incredible sample smorgasbord of your strains. The robust flavour profiles (which I appreciate and enjoy, but suck at articulating ... can’t do it with wines or cigars either!) and the fragrances blew my mind. On those fronts, Shark is kind of meh. Thanks again for that treat!
  2. docgreen

I hear ya. And, actually, I’m feeling verrrrry good!! Could be weed-related. Lol :cool:
    GreenZ and Farmer J like this.
  3. James Marsden

James Marsden Well-Known Member

Sometimes I focus too much attention on saving money or making money. Kind of a quirk of mine. I grew up in a large family and have been dirt poor most of my life. This may account for my need to not "waist" money (waist is a lack of words, if it's making you happy and filling your life than it's anything but a waist)
    You've defenetly pushed out some nice flower and consistency has come with that. Keep on, keeping on brother.
    Farmer J, GreenZ and docgreen like this.
  4. docgreen

Thanks @James Marsden. I respect and appreciate your comments. Now that I’ve gotten my feet wet with growing over the past couple of years, I can start focusing on efficiency and costs.
    James Marsden and GreenZ like this.
  5. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

The good news is all of you guys being efficient where you are really can drive big savings, in Cali it’s just the electricity costs that are the long pole in the tent. They’re brutal and get worse every year, and I’m stuck here for the long haul. I really don’t understand how ppl in CA running hundreds/ thousands of lights in warehouses with pumps and A/C and fans and scrubbers are profitable at this point. Prices have gone down, margins have gone down, I feel like there’s a secret I’m not in on.

Even with LEDs and solar, still pushes high costs to grow. But on the flip side of the coin you just don’t know what’s in the shit you buy from stores - stories come out all the time of banned pesticides, alcohol, mold, etc. which I’m definitely ‘not’ down to be putting in my body.

What really drove me to start back up growing was a store bought edible (I love edibles) that got me sicker than I’ve ever been in my entire life. Genuinely thought I was going to end up in the hospital because I had ingested poison - terrible stomach pain, sweating profusely like my body was trying to flush out something very toxic, feeling like I was going to faint every time I moved because of dehydration, it was terrible. So it’s a total catch 22, costs you more but you love it and enjoy it and it’s a beneficial part of your life.

BTW - I like everyone’s recent comments on this thread, very good stuff and what it’s all about. If smell isn’t an issue you guys need to start running the diesels, change your life :)
    James Marsden and docgreen like this.
  6. docgreen

What breeder/strain of diesel would be Uber kick ass??!

I’m loving this starting moms from seed, taking my time with them, and then clone from them when ready. Mix in a grafting experiment, obviously ;)

9A979BA5-CB3B-48E2-BED8-5DEB343CC728.jpeg
  7. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Sour Diesel, Headband, Chem 91, Original Diesel (daywrecker cut).

IMO trusted sources for seeds aligning to diesels and diesel crosses would be Top Dawg, Karma, and Dynasty Genetics. I have a pack of Dynasty’s Pineapple Diesel that I haven’t popped primarily because I think the smell will be too intense. I also just checked and they have 2 options of sour d crosses.

I sent a note to my friend who pretty much only runs headband/chem/OG/diesels and I’ll let you know what he comes back with, maybe he’s got additional ideas. Diesels all have that very potent sour/ gas/ fuel type smell, so it just depends if you like that or not. I love it personally as Sour D is the one strain that I can pick out of a crowd INSTANTLY no matter the setting - I’m like a hound dog on a scent when it hits the air. Happens at concerts all the time, my wife just sees my head turn as I start scanning the room looking for the source.

Edit: Forgot CSI Humboldt as a seed source too.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    docgreen likes this.
  8. docgreen

Awesome!! Thanks very much. I’ll start reading up starting with your leads:cool:
    Farmer J and GreenZ like this.
  9. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Alright talked to my buddy, and he is the definitive source of the truth on this subject. He tried the new flower directly from Prof P at Dynasty (breeder) and while great, not diesely.

Here’s your list in order for diesels: Top dawg, karma genetics, lucky dog seed co
    sherpasherpa and docgreen like this.
  10. sherpasherpa

sherpasherpa Well-Known Member

Not that I've ever grown any but, I love headband. And all most any sour diesel cross I've tried so I will be growing them eventually. I use a mail order shop that allows you to get a 1/2P all different strains $750ish and about 100 strains to pick from. As a result I have quite the wish list of strains I would like to grow.
    GreenZ and docgreen like this.
  11. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Doc - those diesel recommendations came from this guy (you’re in good hands). This is cookies (forum cut).
    D1DC1895-4A7A-4C1F-AC12-37D680697277.jpeg
  12. docgreen

Yum!
  13. docgreen

Inaugural Grafting Attempt

>> this was a fun and informative session! Realistically, given the number of “oopsies” I made in the process, it’s highly unlikely either of these grafts will take. But, I have some ideas for how to tweak the process for the next attempt. I have a bit more donor stalk available from the few SomangoXXL veg’ing in a Pro that I have not yet topped.

705D15C9-FC0A-4926-A603-D14B1F3A64E6.jpeg

BDC84CD0-5209-42F2-895F-DFCFA268B1DF.jpeg

5FF96600-5A16-4395-AF0B-EAE2E8F93DC3.jpeg

FC97E2DE-48D9-4170-9387-DB2E165FDA4A.jpeg

A09875BE-79BA-4928-95FD-E1EE89C4E1F0.jpeg

5DCEB906-1040-4EFD-B9E2-536043BC7812.jpeg

49D071AD-5841-4423-B35A-2C639F8B0844.jpeg

A46035FC-2249-4B0D-A2D3-8F3DE5D44D1B.jpeg

E95AAB17-6842-47A8-945F-874303A39EBC.jpeg
  14. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Nice work, are they wilted over yet?
    Farmer J and docgreen like this.
  15. docgreen

1 is.
    GreenZ likes this.
  16. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Well if ones not I think it will take and be successful. I found the ones I tried that wilted right away never survived, but ones that stayed somewhat normal did. I think you’re going to be successful, nice work!
    docgreen likes this.
  17. docgreen

Unfortunately, no go. The XXL held on - seemingly quite nicely, without any immediate wilting - for 24 hrs. Then plop. I was doing checks every 90 min. So it was weird to see how quickly it deteriorated. Couldn’t detect any external stressor. Perhaps because it was such a juicy scion from a new seedling it was able to survive off its own fluid for a period of time.

I’ll try again next week.
    SK Grower, Farmer J and GreenZ like this.
  18. Green Doctor

Green Doctor Retired and lovin' it.

Missed the diesel parts, but to come hook sliding in to home plate, I grew Sour Diesel for the past few grows. When it flowering, people would comment that they smelled weed. So we explained it by we just got some stinky stuff from our health dealer. Even changing out the carbon pellets in the filters. It just plain SMELLS. Great high, but not a good choice for indoor growing.

We're going to a new strain 2046 sativa. Or it was new when I bought the seeds Lord knows how long ago. LOL
    GreenZ and docgreen like this.
  19. Green Doctor

Green Doctor Retired and lovin' it.

Mantis buffered Nutrients? Hmm, I'll give it a try.

We don't ship to the United States.
    James Marsden and Farmer J like this.
  20. R.Whitebear

R.Whitebear Well-Known Member

Have to switch those cultured solution have mold issues so have mine already in the mail