1. Please note effective Jan 27, 2020 the BCNL Public Forums will no longer allow new threads or comments. The content will remain for review for the time being as we work towards creating an up-to-date FAQ based on the information shared in the forums. Registered BCNL customers will still have access to the Members Only Forums where we will be pleased to support you.

1 Chiller - 2 Reservoirs?

Discussion in 'Grow Box Q&A' started by rjford1, Nov 24, 2019.

1. rjford1

rjford1 Randy

Is it doable?

I'm currently running a chiller in a Bloom Box. Works like a champ.

Now I want to use my mothership/roommate as a hydro unit. To date I've used it for potted Mothers, or it sat empty.

So now I will have 2 reservoirs that need temp control.

I've seen many great highdeas on here - can it be done with one chiller? I've thought of only one way - but it would require that both reservoirs contain the same nutes. That's not practical since part of the point is to stagger grows.

Anyone have any thoughts on a way to achieve this - or do I have to bite the bullet & have two chillers?

Gonna burn a bowl & think about it some more...........

Help me oh wise ones :rolleyes:
  2. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

For what it would take to get both chilled using the same chiller wouldn’t be worth it unless you’re @docgreen who could figure it out I’m sure, but I don’t think he’s around anymore.
  3. rjford1

rjford1 Randy

Okay. Thanks McLovin. Had to ask. Ya never know. Ouch - don't like the idea of buying another chiller.
  4. icemeister

icemeister New Member

ok first you could build a copper worm for the second res. insert it into the chiller system. from chiller to second res then back to first res to chiller. You would have to crank up the chiller as the second res with the copper in it would suck up the chill and lower the res temp then move on to the main res. what the temp would be and would it be ok or in line with what you want, maybe.
    Or do it proper and get a second chiller.
    Farmer J likes this.
  5. rjford1

rjford1 Randy

Thanks icemeister. I'll probably go with a 2nd chiller. :)
  6. icemeister

icemeister New Member

already own the parts so I would build first and see what happens. T ing off never works right but a continuous loop could be just the right thing.
  7. Farmer J

Farmer J @onelunggrows

He still posts a lot on Instagram, but I don't know if he runs hydroponics anymore, he's running fabric pots, Blumats and Mantis nutrients off a dosatron in his boxes and tents.

Check out @docgreen's older threads, he ran stainless steel coils, then he even had his fans chilled with inkbird PID's.
    Newbie Doobie likes this.
  8. icemeister

icemeister New Member

I am working on chilled radiators for my fans from a computer chilling system. Now tuning up box for next grow with the new mods to box. I am going to build a led light system as well. Docgreen sounds like an innovator, i will look up some of his posts.
    Thanks
    Farmer J likes this.
  9. R.Whitebear

R.Whitebear Well-Known Member

I'm thinking if you ran mantis nutrients ran both hoses to a T connector then a single hose to the chiller the only problem I see would be the return water distribution it would be interesting to see how that would work
  10. Farmer J

Farmer J @onelunggrows

Docgreen really likes Mantis, I just can't wrap my head around the price. If I could I would be using it too
  11. Newbie Doobie

Newbie Doobie Free Old Hippy

I don’t understand, I thought it was relatively cheap to buy? What is holding you out
  12. Green Doctor

Green Doctor Retired and lovin' it.

I'd buy 2 chillers.
  13. icemeister

icemeister New Member

To T off is hard to fine tune, both lengths need to be close to the same length or one side gets more water than the other. So would not recommend. A continuous loop would work and if you had only some of the parts and chiller was powerful enough you could make it work for around 50 bucks in parts. I would also look at insulating all exposed lines to keep everything chilled.
  14. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

If you ever do decide to make one, please document it for us. It can be done using plain water through the coils so you’ll have to use a separate reservoir for it. The coils are going to take up room in the boxes’ reservoirs which might be a good thing as far as using less nutrients.
    Newbie Doobie likes this.
  15. icemeister

icemeister New Member

Yes if i was going to feed two different objects with one chiller using the reservoir . Running from chiller up the back of the box to fan with radiator attached then out to the internal reservoir then back to chiller. One loop duel purpose using the nuts as chilled medium. Changed my mind when i found i owned two chillers and only one box so no need to loop. I am working on using potable antifreeze in chiller ( you know the stuff you winterize your motor home with) it would work better than water. My problem is I live in Hawaii and can not buy potable antifreeze here and amazon wont ship it go figure. Over the next couple weeks i am going to rework my mothership/roomate with some improvements cooling the upper chamber, build new led lights, ad t5s to inner chamber, feeding tubes and pump. I built a lid for the reservoir out of 3/8 lexan so ready to finish the set up. I will post when it is done. I am still working on some other ideas but will leave for another time.
  16. Farmer J

Farmer J @onelunggrows

Just use water and a separate reservoir. The chillers don't need to circulate nutes. As long as they are circulating cold liquid through the loops in the reservoir it will chill the nutes and the heat will be displaced back to the chiller reservoir.
  17. icemeister

icemeister New Member

True, using water works just not that efficient. If you want to use water you should use an additive to keep it clean like Hydro Guard. To stretch the ability of the chiller potable antifreeze will bring the temp even lower and keep things clean. I think more gear is more to take care of and more time wasted. If you can do it all with one chiller you should.
  18. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

Somehow I can’t feel sorry for you, you live in HAWAII!!
    sherpasherpa likes this.
  19. icemeister

icemeister New Member

I am freezing my ass off very cold and rainy and 74 degrees. Grow box and whiskey keep me going, can not believe my wife forced me to move here.