BloomBox Northern Lights

Chad

4ml patience per gallon
Good morning BCNL! I took a ridiculously long hiatus after my first grow, and am now back up and running. Since this is my second grow, I had a ton of questions / issues. As you all know, the forum was down, rendering ‘user tech support’ (you fine people) unavailable for questions. Fortunately, @McLovin came in clutch, as usual, and got me through the first few hurdles. Thanks buddy!!

Here is the expedited version of the grow to date. The following pics represent the last 20 days. August 8th through the 28th. Seeds were from seed supreme and while I tried for a mix of Northern Lights, NL Big Bud, and NL#5 , these are the only 4 that made it. (3 Northern Lights 1 Northern Lights Big Bud). most of the seeds simply didn’t germinate, most likely due to their age.

Nutes - Advanced Nutrients pH perfect 3 part with their ‘hobbiest’ package.

With 4 plants in the box I’m going to try to ScrOG them to see if I can pull off the same finished weight as my first grow of 7 total plants. Now that things are back up and running, I’ll update regularly throughout the remainder of the grow.

note: the 3rd pic shows the SunBlaster 6500k lights I started using for the beginning of veg. While the 3000 k LED’s will veg, they simply lack in that department. I’ll get an additional post up in the next few days with an experiment I conducted outlining my experience with the LED’s so far...
30761C09-9592-4B10-9C50-2D9D5D9FE5DE.jpeg
F4A130DB-984D-4C50-92BF-762CBA5437AD.jpeg
25FEFE8C-0FB1-4C5A-BDCE-CE99A3A0A9AC.jpeg
2A2CF0B2-1500-4B5D-BEA1-CCDD61A6CC5A.jpeg

McLovin

Good morning BCNL! I took a ridiculously long hiatus after my first grow, and am now back up and running. Since this is my second grow, I had a ton of questions / issues. As you all know, the forum was down, rendering ‘user tech support’ (you fine people) unavailable for questions. Fortunately, @McLovin came in clutch, as usual, and got me through the first few hurdles. Thanks buddy!!

Here is the expedited version of the grow to date. The following pics represent the last 20 days. August 8th through the 28th. Seeds were from seed supreme and while I tried for a mix of Northern Lights, NL Big Bud, and NL#5 , these are the only 4 that made it. (3 Northern Lights 1 Northern Lights Big Bud). most of the seeds simply didn’t germinate, most likely due to their age.

Nutes - Advanced Nutrients pH perfect 3 part with their ‘hobbiest’ package.

With 4 plants in the box I’m going to try to ScrOG them to see if I can pull off the same finished weight as my first grow of 7 total plants. Now that things are back up and running, I’ll update regularly throughout the remainder of the grow.

note: the 3rd pic shows the SunBlaster 6500k lights I started using for the beginning of veg. While the 3000 k LED’s will veg, they simply lack in that department. I’ll get an additional post up in the next few days with an experiment I conducted outlining my experience with the LED’s so far...View attachment 11976View attachment 11977View attachment 11978View attachment 11979
How long in veg now? Hard to see how tall they are. They look real bushy and may not be good candidates for scrogging if they don’t grow tall enough for you. I would recommend pruning them a bit but fear they may get stunted if they’re indica dominant, and those type of leaves look like they are. Let’s see the roots. Putting that middle plant in the back row should give them all more room to spread out more. Do you have a net yet?

Chad

4ml patience per gallon
They are currently 9” tall and very bushy. The fan leaves are really massive, and I’ve intentionally refrained from pruning to see what happens. what do you recommend? It’s been killing me not to get in there and get some light through to the future bud sites. I could easily move one to the rear if you think it’d be best. “week 2” veg ends Sunday evening... thoughts?
root pic is from this past Sunday, start of week 2
EC1566F8-0A0E-47BC-8A3F-94F18C7F67E6.jpeg

McLovin

They are currently 9” tall and very bushy. The fan leaves are really massive, and I’ve intentionally refrained from pruning to see what happens. what do you recommend? It’s been killing me not to get in there and get some light through to the future bud sites. I could easily move one to the rear if you think it’d be best. “week 2” veg ends Sunday evening... thoughts?
root pic is from this past Sunday, start of week 2View attachment 11983
They’re looking pretty good! Don’t worry about future bud sites until you’re in 12/12. They don’t apply in veg. You can take a leaf off here and there to conform to your grow space. Just don’t be too aggressive right now. If you’re looking to maximize your space I would let them get a few inches taller before flipping.

Chad

4ml patience per gallon
They’re looking pretty good! Don’t worry about future bud sites until you’re in 12/12. They don’t apply in veg. You can take a leaf off here and there to conform to your grow space. Just don’t be too aggressive right now. If you’re looking to maximize your space I would let them get a few inches taller before flipping.
I noticed in my last grow, white widow, it seemed I cut a shit ton of low growth off that I was thinking could have all become colas, laterally run, at a way earlier time. I tried to SCROG my last run, and because of the full load of plants, 4 way topping, and being WAY late to the SCROG party, it’s was mere framework for what nature already did... I just saw the TON of side shoots I cut throughout the stretch, see pic, and figured, try less plants, grow them hoes flat af son!! haha, and Push the new growth up throughout the stretch...
4DC2A137-B078-496E-A17E-DF1A5127948D.jpeg

So I should cut to ‘force’ their stretch? I’m still planning on a full 2 weeks before considering the flip.
What about the scrogging?
I have a screen I made last round that I’ve been dying to use. Haha. There’s a post about it on here somewhere.
Hey, did you mention you had the O2grow now?
I do! I haven’t installed it because, with the box up and running it’s tough to do a quality job, 2, I’m scared SHITTLESS that it’ll quickly go stagnant without some sort of continuous circulation pump running, and waste my so far awesome roots! lol. I have a chiller that would cure the circulation concern, but see running installation pain in the ass issue above. Hahaha.

here is the branching structure I have so far. It’s hard to see, but can’t those secondary branches come up is open to do so?
C521133C-AA50-4AE3-A35E-564144815569.jpeg

Last edited:

McLovin

Knowing your line of work I’m sure you’ll do a quality job on the chiller and o2grow. I felt the same way about the efficiency of the O2grow, how is that going to oxygenate as well as the airstones? But it does! The plants couldn’t be happier. The water pump for the chiller is plenty enough circulation.

The “stretch” doesn’t occur until you switch to 12/12 when the plants will double to triple in size during the first 3-4 weeks. That said, your pic with the branch structure does look odd. Is that the only plant that looks like that? Pretty cool actually.

You’ve never grown this strain before so I can only offer you what I do on unknown strains in regards to the structuring. Big wide leaves indicate an indica dominant strain (my favorite) and generally likes lots of nutes but can stunt their growth if pruning is too aggressive early, until they get about 8-12 inches. Hybrids and Sativa dominant strains have the thinner leaves, uses less nutes, can take a beating in veg and not affect its growth as much. A few days before switching to 12/12, start pruning them to your desired structure on how you want them to look as they stretch out. Moving that center plant to the back row will give them all more room to spread out. Have you been to the Grow Weed Easy site? It’s the Bible on learning - https://www.growweedeasy.com/kodiak-marijuana-training-guide

Chad

4ml patience per gallon
Knowing your line of work I’m sure you’ll do a quality job on the chiller and o2grow. I felt the same way about the efficiency of the O2grow, how is that going to oxygenate as well as the airstones? But it does! The plants couldn’t be happier. The water pump for the chiller is plenty enough circulation.

The “stretch” doesn’t occur until you switch to 12/12 when the plants will double to triple in size during the first 3-4 weeks. That said, your pic with the branch structure does look odd. Is that the only plant that looks like that? Pretty cool actually.

You’ve never grown this strain before so I can only offer you what I do on unknown strains in regards to the structuring. Big wide leaves indicate an indica dominant strain (my favorite) and generally likes lots of nutes but can stunt their growth if pruning is too aggressive early, until they get about 8-12 inches. Hybrids and Sativa dominant strains have the thinner leaves, uses less nutes, can take a beating in veg and not affect its growth as much. A few days before switching to 12/12, start pruning them to your desired structure on how you want them to look as they stretch out. Moving that center plant to the back row will give them all more room to spread out. Have you been to the Grow Weed Easy site? It’s the Bible on learning - https://www.growweedeasy.com/kodiak-marijuana-training-guide
Love that site almost as much as this forum. That’s where I got the majority of the pruning ideas above. Yes, all of the plants are like that (Structure wise) with massive knuckles at the main stalks. My line of work!?!? How the hell does pole dancing make me qualified to install anything? Hahaha. Thanks as always bro! hope you’re enjoying a quality weekend!

McLovin

Haha 🤣.

Here’s today’s pic of this mish mosh grow of old left over seeds I have going. I had planned on doing a journal on it. Notice which ones are sativa dominant and indica dominant? They’re about to get their 3 week major prune job on Monday.

2C38CC70-E058-438A-A6CB-753031DCB19C.jpeg

Chad

4ml patience per gallon
Haha 🤣.

Here’s today’s pic of this mish mosh grow of old left over seeds I have going. I had planned on doing a journal on it. Notice which ones are sativa dominant and indica dominant? They’re about to get their 3 week major prune job on Monday.
wow man, she PACKED! Nice work! you really should run a journal from here forward. That’s gonna be interesting and require some attention for sure!

Chad

4ml patience per gallon
Hey, so how are you gonna keep them low enough for flower? The ones on the right are massive!

McLovin

Hey, so how are you gonna keep them low enough for flower? The ones on the right are massive!
These are 3 weeks of flowering already. Hopefully, the “stretch” is almost done. I’ll be pruning them today or tomorrow to give you a better idea what the final structure will look like. I don’t want to hijack your thread but to show you the difference once you switch to 12/12 will look like.

This was day one of switching to 12/12 flowering three weeks ago that I showed you privately -

1598788819828.jpeg

Chad

4ml patience per gallon
Hijack away buddy - as if grow pics are a bad thing... they’ve really come a LONG way!