Bruce Banner

laurie

wonderful!!
✌ OH.
So, may I ask you a couple questions......
Have you ever harvested the top of the plant first - and left the bottom to finish? And then my next thought is - will a couple T5 LEDs solve that issue? Or did I just leave too many small bud sites? All advice welcome:)

oldhippy

Turn your problems into wisdom
✌ OH.
So, may I ask you a couple questions......
Have you ever harvested the top of the plant first - and left the bottom to finish? And then my next thought is - will a couple T5 LEDs solve that issue? Or did I just leave too many small bud sites? All advice welcome:)
This is done all the time, it is called staggered harvests. Take the solid top colas first and let the lower flowers ripen and grow until ready. As with the top colas, look at the trichomes color ratio to determine when to harvest. I do this every harvest and increase the yield by 25-40% by harvesting over a 3-4 week period as the flowers size up. It also helps with trimming because you don't have to do everything at once. It's a more relaxed way to harvest. Cutting off the top of the branches sends the cell elongation and division auxins to the lower parts of the plant and will cause the lower buds to swell and grow. Your harvest can be extended by several weeks with this method. If you can try to get those lower buds about 18 inches from your light. Give it a try and get ready to smile. Love you big Sis.

Last edited:

oldhippy

Oh, about the lights resolving the issue .... they'll help but time is more of the essence and if you wait on the lower buds your canopy will not be all it can be. Try the staggered harvest approach and let us know about your experience. Don't expect all those popcorn buds to grow big and bad, but a lot of those lower buds will surprise you.

oldhippy

To be honest, you have to ask yourself is the extra time in your box best used by staggered harvesting or starting a new grow. Which yields more bud vs time, etc. The larger the plant the more yield from the lower buds. With that said, staggered harvesting might be best used with your outside plants because of their increased size. It's all relative. Either way, it will work but in this case "SIZE MATTERS".

laurie

To be honest, you have to ask yourself is the extra time in your box best used by staggered harvesting or starting a new grow. Which yields more bud vs time, etc. The larger the plant the more yield from the lower buds. With that said, staggered harvesting might be best used with your outside plants because of their increased size. It's all relative. Either way, it will work but in this case "SIZE MATTERS".
✌ TY @oldhippy - it occurred to me as I trimmed this would be possible. I may just give it a go next time if needed. I must plan the use of my box and tent in unison for such purposes. Ah the journey continues🌱

oldhippy

✌ TY @oldhippy - it occurred to me as I trimmed this would be possible. I may just give it a go next time if needed. I must plan the use of my box and tent in unison for such purposes. Ah the journey continues🌱
Well, that was my concern ... the roommate being so small. You could complete a new veg cycle in the same amount of time as a staggered harvest. You may only get a few ounces more of bud, depending on strain, so in the long run I have to question and you have to decide if it is worth it. Whereas, a plant grown much larger outside the box could possibly yield enough to warrant the practice.

I initially included a link via "WeedGrowsEasy" to an article on monstercropping, but that is another thing entirely so I deleted it. IMO, unless you feel the urge to tinker, a new grow would yield more bud relative to time spent and the limited size of the plants grown in a roommate.

It's all about your objectives. Peace and Love.

laurie

Well, that was my concern ... the roommate being so small. You could complete a new veg cycle in the same amount of time as a staggered harvest. You may only get a few ounces more of bud, depending on strain, so in the long run I have to question and you have to decide if it is worth it. Whereas, a plant grown much larger outside the box could possibly yield enough to warrant the practice.

I initially included a link via "WeedGrowsEasy" to an article on monstercropping, but that is another thing entirely so I deleted it. IMO, unless you feel the urge to tinker, a new grow would yield more bud relative to time spent and the limited size of the plants grown in a roommate.

It's all about your objectives. Peace and Love.

I feel ya OH ✌ Up to 40% increased yield is outstanding IMO.
I’ve read about monster cropping and I will try it at some point.
Currently I have one GDP in the tent. I topped it -and now that I’ve tried that- it’s definitely the way to go consistently. My DWC bucket I’ve discovered is really too tall. They sell shorter ones made here so I’ll do that too- more space to grow it a foot taller potentially.