Ceramic Metal Halide

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by James Marsden, Apr 21, 2017.

1. James Marsden

James Marsden Well-Known Member

In a box I would think the rail is going to make it too low and would think a 315 would work well
    docgreen likes this.
  2. James Marsden

Why change anything but the ballast and bulb?
    docgreen likes this.
  3. Bondo

Bondo Apprentice gardener

I worry about the glass blocking out all the uv but there is only really one way to find out
    docgreen, James Marsden and Farmer J like this.
  4. James Marsden

Ok so started some cmh vs MH testing.
    20190305_171258-1080x1920.jpg 20190305_171353-1080x1920.jpg 20190305_171410-1080x1920.jpg
    docgreen likes this.
  5. James Marsden

To start the physical temp of the bulb is the same. I used an infrared temp meter and measured the light hood and glass and found they put out the same temperature. Now the lumin output shocked me. After 3hrs of burn in (both bulbs are brand new) the cmh has an out put of 32000lux and the super mh only had 28600lux. The ambient temp outside of the box is 71 and inside the box were at 82. Not a huge fan of this temperature swing but could run if I had too.
    docgreen likes this.
  6. James Marsden

The camera actually captures a decent colour rendering.
    20190305_172849.jpg
    thestonernerd, docgreen and Farmer J like this.
  7. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

My buddy just ran a side by side of 600w HPS vs. 630DE CMH. His results were bigger and better looking under the 600 HPS (surprisingly). His perspective was he’d run CMH through veg and maybe the first 3-4 weeks of flower in a perfect world, but if he had to pick one only he’d do HPS. May or may not be helpful info, but thought I’d share.
    docgreen and Farmer J like this.
  8. James Marsden

And that's almost on par to what the reach has shown but if the charts are right then this bulb should outperform the HPS 20190305_191406-1296x2304.jpg 20190305_191356.jpg

To my research most cmh lacks the much needed red spectrum. This bulb has red in spades and less blues.
    I've also seen most people say they have had better product but lower quantities.
    docgreen and GreenZ like this.
  9. Farmer J

Farmer J @onelunggrows

My yield definitely isn't as good as I expected with de630's but like you say, the quality is fire. Better plant training techniques will help and I don't supply co2 yet either.
    docgreen, James Marsden and GreenZ like this.
  10. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Lots of rave reviews about cmh, never tried it personally but was surprised a 630DE yielded less than a 600HPS. That said, if the quality is better that’s a sound trade off in my mind. I still hold onto the dream that someday I’ll live somewhere with high ceilings and low electricy costs so I can run some 1000w DE HPS. One grow/ harvest would last most people all year.
    Farmer J and docgreen like this.
  11. Farmer J

Farmer J @onelunggrows

There are claims of three per light with gavitas, man that is killer if it's true.
  12. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

100% true at 3, no doubt. I’ve heard of 4 with blue dream and high ceilings.
    docgreen likes this.
  13. James Marsden

3 or 4 what?
  14. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Lbs per 1000w DE light. Most achieve 3 (6 plants at .5 each), but I’ve heard blue dream can get 4. Never seen that personally, certainly requires a lot of vertical and horizontal space.
    James Marsden and Farmer J like this.
  15. James Marsden

So little update, if your ever doing this know that the ballast are wired across from each other. The left ballast powers the right mogul and the right ballast powers the left mogul. And further dont run CMH bulbs on a regular digital ballast at 400watts. It BLOWS the bulb right up.
    docgreen likes this.
  16. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Did you blow one up?
  17. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

If it did I hope you’re OK.
    docgreen and James Marsden like this.
  18. James Marsden

Oh yea the outer shield did its job and contained the blast.
  19. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Well...

First and foremost I’m glad you’re all good and OK, hope the box is good too!

I’m also sorry for the expense and cleanup.

Thirdly... That’s kind of badass.
    James Marsden and docgreen like this.
  20. James Marsden

No expense on me thankfully. My hydro guy is sending them back to the manufacturer as defective.
    GreenZ and docgreen like this.