Clone Selection? What makes the best candidates?

OK - I'm on day 11(?) in the Power Cloner and probably ready to put these in to Veg - very very soon
looking over top and bottom here …what's your tried and true selection criteria?
IMG_5072.JPG
IMG_5074.JPG
IMG_5075.JPG

James Marsden

Wow these roots are intense. From their I would use rock wool chunks not try and crush the roots planting into cubes. I prefer to transplant much sooner than this.

Farmer J

@onelunggrows
Wow these roots are intense. From their I would use rock wool chunks not try and crush the roots planting into cubes. I prefer to transplant much sooner than this.
I would suggest hydroton clay or grow stones instead of rockwool this time, chunks would work if it's all you have but it could be messy cutting them up.

Farmer J

@onelunggrows
"
"Chunks" come in a bag of small cubes. Problem with stones is they don't hold any water and the timing cycle should be changed IMHO
That makes sense, because you don't want them to dry out. But, I think if you have a root system like @SecretSanta they will be ok.

My friend that borrowed my hydrotub18 uses clay pebbles and it is working for him. His plants were started in solo cups with potting soil. So we gently rinsed the roots off the best we could, set them in the net pots and filled them up with clays. To be honest I was worried his water pump or lines would get clogged with dirt but they didn't. He sucks out old nutes with shop vac every time and the res is really clean. His root system is developed well and it wicks enough nutrients to keep the top from drying out.

docgreen

IG: @rangi_kijani
That makes sense, because you don't want them to dry out. But, I think if you have a root system like @SecretSanta they will be ok.

My friend that borrowed my hydrotub18 uses clay pebbles and it is working for him. His plants were started in solo cups with potting soil. So we gently rinsed the roots off the best we could, set them in the net pots and filled them up with clays. To be honest I was worried his water pump or lines would get clogged with dirt but they didn't. He sucks out old nutes with shop vac every time and the res is really clean. His root system is developed well and it wicks enough nutrients to keep the top from drying out.

I just put 24 rooted clones into Root Riots, then into growstones ..

IMG_8746.jpg

A bit awkward, but the Root Riot I think provides a nice protection around the root crown, as well as having nice properties re water retention and aeration. 6 hours post-transplant, they're still all mostly pointing upward ;) Tick tock. Time will tell

Thanks @Green Doctor for sharing your tips and experience re RootRiots and grow stones. Most helpful!

IMG_8747.jpg

I planned to take pics of the transplant process, but I got into a "zone" and figured if I try to take pics I'll screw something up with the plants. No chewing gum while walking ...

which reminded me of this pic I took at a fish market in Tokyo ... lolol

IMG_3733.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Canada Day friends and thanks for all the feedback! just got back from a little trip visiting friends in Ottawa and the Gatineau river

I didn't photograph the cloning method or the follow-up placing the clones in the netpots. I did not find any of it terribly difficult, however at least for me, on this first go I found you really need two hands and you have to keep the process moving
Since I had the rockwool anyway I sliced the 1" in half, poked a hole through both the 3" RW bottom AND net pots. I gave the Rockwool a quick (light) dunk in the week 1 veg soup, fed the roots though the holes and placed the two halves of the 1" around the main stem like a sleeve. From there they started WEEK 1 VEG with timed water on right way

These clones are doing very well in WEEK TWO veg in the Producer*, (so well that I'm guessing I may flip to flower at week 3 Veg to avoid the crazy stretch issues) while my original GSC run from seed in the Bbox is in WEEK 8 flower.
Will update both of those Grow Journal threads with photos and start some new clones tomorrow now that the left hand chamber is vacant.
I was going to run a new strain in the cloner this time but I postponed starting a few days longer 'cuz I'm not sure if there are enough potential clones on the younger mothers yet (Critical Kush, Super Lemon Haze & Jack Herer)
If not I may do one more run of girl scout cookies after all just to keep the momentum going

@JoseR mentioned the rocks too but I haven't tried them yet
~ if I recall correctly they are reusable right? That sounds like a pretty good reason in itself to switch though I imagine you would still need something to work like that 1" sleeve to keep them solid and secure
I would suggest hydroton clay or grow stones instead of rockwool this time, chunks would work if it's all you have but it could be messy cutting them up.

Interested to hear this reply too @James Marsden Not sure what other strains require, but this one really sucks up a lot of liquid so that there's very little left by the end of the week. I've been adding about the same % more water that James suggests on both boxes but I keep the nutes a bit weaker using the same #s of CC/MLs as recommended for the standard (23 and 35 litre) amounts.
Hey @James Marsden, I've only been putting in the 34L that BCNL describes. How close to the bottom of the pots does 45L get you? If you have a chance, really interested to hear when/why you raise the water level. Thx!

*Holy smokes does that PRODUCER *ever* run hotter than the Bloombox, particularly this older model I have got. Very grateful for that gem of advice not to do any room treatments until I started using it @docgreen it's throwing out so much more heat, I get the feeling I may be able to run both boxes in the cold storage space over the winter without a space heater, but will see. At the moment I just have the Producer in the cold storage, while my BB is still in the insulated anteroom adjacent

@PeeJay

Paul the Noob
Hey @James Marsden, I've only been putting in the 34L that BCNL describes. How close to the bottom of the pots does 45L get you? If you have a chance, really interested to hear when/why you raise the water level. Thx!

I ran 48 liters for both of my producer hydro grows. It was 4+ inches from the bottom of the cups. I didn’t like my chiller and recirculating pumps not being fully submerged.

On the 2nd grow I used that much water to “thin” the thick organic nutes.

Plan as outlined by José is to grow one each of three separate remaining strains in my Mothership to select best choice for cloning and take notes about growth then do a full run based on what I learned

Here's a look at the three moms the clones came from (plus the Girl Scout Cookie in back) ~ they were just cut last night but growing rapidly around each cut.
Im thinking it might be best to transplant them out to the full size pots BCNL provided
Mother Jul5 - 2.jpg
Mother Jul5 - 4.jpg
Mother Jul5 - 3.jpg