1. Please note effective Jan 27, 2020 the BCNL Public Forums will no longer allow new threads or comments. The content will remain for review for the time being as we work towards creating an up-to-date FAQ based on the information shared in the forums. Registered BCNL customers will still have access to the Members Only Forums where we will be pleased to support you.

Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Grow Box Q&A' started by Papertroll, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Papertroll

Papertroll New Member

Newbie here, bought a used LED bloombox and am just getting it dialed in.
    I have to admit I am shocked by the heat generated by the boxes, right now its 28 F outside I have the window open 1/2 way so its 68 in the grow room and my reservoir temp is sitting at 72.
    75 deg inside the flower side .
    I don't have the lights vented outside mind you.
    Does anyone have a link to a way to attach the ducting to the fan outputs?
    I really did not think heat would be a issue with the LED's and a Canadian winter .
    So yeah it looks like I am going to have to go the chiller route thanks for the awesome install thread mclovin.

https://www.amazon.ca/Active-Aqua-A...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y8XRMF3H0AF6F1VR9P83

https://www.amazon.ca/EcoPlus-72849...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H5X8TC3FG9TB0FTMD7V2

The air pump seems to be making a pile of noise so it may have to be replaced what is the specs on the factory one?

Would anyone have done their chiller install differently ? Or should I try the venting the lights first and see what happens or just pull the trigger on the chiller right off the bat?
  2. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

Looking at the prices they’re getting for a chiller in Canada I think I would try the venting route first unless you can find a used one. I’ve got my box in a basement which is about a constant 65f without venting and my first grow got root rot but I’m using the HPS bulb. You would think you could get away with it using LEDs. When I get home I’ll get the actual stock air pump model. I did away with my air pump and using the O2grow. No more noise.
    Good luck with your box. Getting it dialed in is key.
    Papertroll likes this.
  3. Papertroll

Papertroll New Member

Well I left to go visit my gf when I left the box was at 66 degrees with 3 water bottles in it . Just looked it's now 72 3 hrs later .
    So I just pulled the trigger on a used / open package for $411.
    Hopefully the girls survive the night .
    Thanks for the reply!

Edit : 5 hrs later and the lights are off and the temp hits 75. That's like a 2 degree a hr climb.
    (Just to clarify I had long since closed the out side window and house temp is set at 72. )
    The temp climbed to 76 deg total.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  4. Papertroll

Papertroll New Member

Well my chiller arrived today and one thing I wasn't sure about, the instructions says " This chiller does not have a external pump , so it needs a pump with a external filter. Using a pump without a external filter may cause a water leak or other damage."
    Yet in Mclovins install post only one person had installed a serious filter. Wouldn't a filter remove some of the nutrients that are added?
    Ordering some gear tomorrow that should bring me 1/2 way to member side access, can't wait.
  5. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

Yes, the external pump is what you put in the reservoir to pump the water to and from the chiller with. Did you get the recommended pump I used?
    The pump has a filter limiting roots and other debris to go through it. Nutes should be fine.
    Papertroll likes this.
  6. Papertroll

Papertroll New Member

Yes the smaller pump Eco 132.
  7. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

You’ll be good.
    Papertroll likes this.
  8. Papertroll

Papertroll New Member

Yay free of water bottles ! So nice to be able to pick a temp, set and forget !
    BCNL really should look at making a chiller a included option.
    I am thinking of making a manifold so that I can use the return line from the chiller to sample whats in the reservoir without opening the doors and lifting the lid!
  9. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

I love that thing. Mine has been going strong for over 5 years now with just a simple cleaning between grows. You ever get into the members side of this forum yet? It’s where all the good stuff is.
    Papertroll likes this.
  10. Papertroll

Papertroll New Member

No not yet, its funny I convinced a buddy to buy a roomate and I even offered him a $100 bucks for his forum access that he will never ever sign up for. But he somehow thinks that he will be linked to any bad posts I might happen to make .
    So I am going to have to spend the $750 to get access , buying a golden grow for him and a air pump for me so I should be up to $400 out of the $750.
    Tempted top ask Andy if I can just pay $200 ish for access instead of buying stuff that I dont need.
    Any idea what this is :(Bluelab pH Controller - Retro Fit Kit)
    Whats the fit part?
    Andy sent me a list of possible upgrades ...
    "You ever get into the members side of this forum yet? It’s where all the good stuff is."
    Yeah I know thanks for coming out to the slums to help out a newbie !
  11. Jgrows

Jgrows Active Member