Edibles

GreenZ

Also hoping to learn about this, would love to figure out how to turn some of my harvests into consistent dose chocolates (like 10mg bites).

GreenZ

Thanks J, I may use your same temp/ duration in a vac sealed bag/ water bath just to eliminate the smell (wife...). Do you know of any simple/ nonexpensive ways to measure the THC content or at least distribute it evenly so each piece of <insert food or capsule here> is the same? My guess is this is way harder than I think just based on the variation across the edibles I usually buy.

Challenge is I have certain brands that I like, but then all the sudden the dispensary will stop carrying them. I personally enjoy lower dose edibles (like 5mg chocolates) but they’re becoming increasingly rare, would love to figure out how to make them myself.

docgreen

IG: @rangi_kijani
Thanks J, I may use your same temp/ duration in a vac sealed bag/ water bath just to eliminate the smell (wife...). Do you know of any simple/ nonexpensive ways to measure the THC content or at least distribute it evenly so each piece of <insert food or capsule here> is the same? My guess is this is way harder than I think just based on the variation across the edibles I usually buy.

Challenge is I have certain brands that I like, but then all the sudden the dispensary will stop carrying them. I personally enjoy lower dose edibles (like 5mg chocolates) but they’re becoming increasingly rare, would love to figure out how to make them myself.
I’m a big fan of edibles. I extract with coconut oil and grain alcohol.

Although some may consider the devices that follow to be merely overhyped gadgets, and to some extent that’s true, I also appreciate that - just as is the case when extracting rosin, for example - precision temperature and duration have a huge impact on yield and potency.

13445858-99C5-4FF1-A112-BD3EBEC32B97.jpeg

I have Kenmore wall oven. Like most ovens, there is a significant variation in temperature even after the “set point” is reached. For example, when my oven is set to 220, the temp ranges from 200 to 240+ (when the burners kick in). For a while, I manually “managed” the oven temp by continually watching a thermometer and opening/closing the door as needed.

So, I got an Ardent Nova Decarboxylator. (Maybe I just needed a new oven lol).

https://ardentcannabis.com/decarboxylation-myths/

To ensure I’m maximizing THC, it’s worth it. Downside, max capacity about 21g and it takes ~1.5 hrs (unsupervised!). Ardent has decent information on their site, including dosage calculations.

And, using the same rationale re need for temp control, I also have a Magical Butter machine that does both oils and alcohol extractions.

Just some edibles for thought. :cool:

Last edited:

GreenZ

This spreadsheet/ calculator was shared with me if any of you guys are interested. Breaks down ratios to appropriately dose thc mg/ oil for capsules or edibles.

File: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IBcCltoC9Cd7gVXSSv4j1o0QYFrmmaZeKaAwknq_13w/htmlview#gid=0

Instructions:
If you're not doing custom blends, you can just use the first column. It works in grams and milliliters, so you'll need to convert your ounces of oil to ml.

Once you have the spreadsheet open on your computer, you start by entering the percentage of THC you think is in the material you will be using. I always use 10% because I'd rather err on the side of caution. If you know you have a high THC strain you can use a different number there. I leave the CBD % at 0 because there's hardly any in the strains I have on hand. If you have the CBD percentage, put it in!

Next you will enter the amount of material you will be using. Decarb first, then I weigh it and add it to the spreadsheet.

Next step is to figure how how much oil you will need to get to the THC concentration you want. The spreadsheet will tell you the concentration level (green boxes on the right under Dose ML) when you put in a number in the box for "Oil volume." The less oil you add, the stronger the result. Of course, you will need enough oil to soak the crumbled material, so you may have to play with that cell while you see what you can get away with. Really high numbers are hard to get to unless you grind the material, because it takes more oil to cover crumbled buds (hence it's more diluted) rather than ground ones. When I have had to grind them I ran a layer of whatever oil I was using around the grinder so that I could catch all the trichomes that stick to the walls by running my finger around the sides and scraping that into the container I was using to do the infusion.

I have had to run the oil twice to get the highest THC concentration I can because I still couldn't get the material covered with the small amount of oil. If you get/have a Magic Butter machine, it grinds it in the oil while it's working so you can probably get away with not having all the bud covered with oil when you start. I'm going to try that next batch I make. The downside of the MB is the 2 cup minimum.

GreenZ

Additionally, another person recommended the InstantPot, which may be the approach I go. Apparently it’s zero smell, doesn’t require any decarb in advance, you can use a simple ratio of 1 gram of weed: 1 oz of oil and adjust from there. Best part is my wife’s been wanting one so will kill 2 birds with one stone.

docgreen

IG: @rangi_kijani
Additionally, another person recommended the InstantPot, which may be the approach I go. Apparently it’s zero smell, doesn’t require any decarb in advance, you can use a simple ratio of 1 gram of weed: 1 oz of oil and adjust from there. Best part is my wife’s been wanting one so will kill 2 birds with one stone.
Interesting. I have one and they’re great. Not sure how the temp would be controlled though.

GreenZ

Interesting. I have one and they’re great. Not sure how the temp would be controlled though.
Lemme ask the guy, stay tuned.

Edit: here’s his approach.

Place a cup of water in the bottom of the IP and then insert the elevated steam tray.

Use a small bowl (stainless steel or Pyrex), anything that fits in the IP and is oven proof.

Grind flowers up (grinder, emerson blender) and then mix it in the bowl with oil.

Cover bowl loosly with tin foil to keep water drips from getting in the oil.

Select pressure cooker, high, for 1hr 50min.

When done let it pressure realease naturally.

Last edited:

Uncanni

I make concentrates in my Source machine by ExtractCraft. I had to break down and get a buchner filter and funnel to get a very clean concentrate which could be mixed in with edibles (I prefer to vape it). I also have the Ardent Lift or Nova for decarbing, and I'm very happy with these two machines.

trim oil.JPG

oldhippy

Turn your problems into wisdom
Follow the formula below to help you dose. Buckle up, this is the math part.

1. Multiply the percentage of THC in your weed (written as a decimal) by the number of grams of weed you’re using. For example, if the weed you bought is 18% THC and you have 3 grams to bake with, you’ll multiply 0.18 x 3, which is 0.54.
  2. Multiply that number by 1000 to convert from grams to milligrams. Using our example above, 0.54 x 1000 = 540. This means your infused fat will contain 540mg of THC in total.
  3. Divide that result (the total THC, in mg) by the number of tablespoons of fat you’d like to infuse. Don’t worry yet about the quantity of butter called for in your cookies or cakes—we’ll get to that shortly. If you’ve decided to infuse 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) of butter, 540 ÷ 16 = 33.75mg, which means you’ll get roughly 34mg THC per tablespoon of infused butter.
Now, figure out how much infused butter you want to use in the specific baking recipe you’re using. You may want to make the recipe entirely with cannabutter, or with a mix of cannabutter and regular butter—it all depends on the potency you’re going for per serving.

Let’s say you substituted all 8 tablespoons of butter called for in a cookie recipe (like this one, which makes 18 cookies) with the butter you made above. 8 tablespoons x 34mg THC per tablespoon = 272mg, which is about 15mg THC per cookie. If that’s a good dose for you, you’re good to go—proceed as normal!

But if you’d like a lower-dosed cookie—say, 5mg THC each—you only need to use enough infused butter to equal 90mg THC (5mg x 18 cookies). At 34mg THC per tablespoon, that’s about three tablespoons of your infused butter. Supplement the remaining five tablespoons of butter in your recipe with the regular stuff.

Folks, I urge you to use "buds" rather than shake or "trim" when you make cannabuter. Rock and roll. Peace and Love.

Last edited: