1. Please note effective Jan 27, 2020 the BCNL Public Forums will no longer allow new threads or comments. The content will remain for review for the time being as we work towards creating an up-to-date FAQ based on the information shared in the forums. Registered BCNL customers will still have access to the Members Only Forums where we will be pleased to support you.

How do you dry and cure your harvest?

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by McLovin, Sep 7, 2019.

1. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

This is a crucial part of growing and the last thing you need is to mess up after all the expense, time and effort invested.

There’s plenty of info out on the interwebs and members here have offered up their personal ways in different threads.

Please share your personal methods and techniques here so it can be easily referenced. Even mistakes that were made may be helpful.
    thestonernerd, Token_NZ and Farmer J like this.
  2. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

I’m gonna be back home in a week and assuming my plants didn’t run out of water during my trip... I’ll be harvesting and happy to contribute to this thread with some photos/ edited video of my process from chop to jar. It’s the most important part for sure and most tutorials leave ppl with more questions and gaps than answers.
    thestonernerd, Token_NZ and Farmer J like this.
  3. Farmer J

Farmer J @onelunggrows

4. Token_NZ

Token_NZ Active Member

One of the mistakes i made was directly after cutting the stems from the roots. I piled the flowers on top of each other.
    If i were to improve this i would remove the stem from the roots and directly hang it first as opposed to placing on top of other flowers and than hanging to dry.
  5. Token_NZ

Token_NZ Active Member

Ventilation and Air! my hanging line was inside my BC Northern lights box. I did not turn the fan's on for two days and woke, one morning to find condensation inside the box. Im not sure if you can turn on the fan's when the door is open?
  6. Farmer J

Farmer J @onelunggrows

Just unplug the ballasts, flip rocker switches to 18/6
    Token_NZ likes this.
  7. donna becker

donna becker New Member

i have a three tier drying basket hanging from the garage door frame in my garage. Last crop I tried curing too wet, got moldy and i tossed the entire jar in the garbage. Since I have seeds in mine I have to really pull the nugs apart to get all of them out so the dry isnt petty... but tasty. I also toss a 62% Boveda pack in the jars as they cure.
    Token_NZ likes this.
  8. Green Doctor

Green Doctor Retired and lovin' it.

Never had a problem using the BCNL dryer. 48 hrs dry, 24 sweat in mason jars, 24 dry, 12 sweat, 12 dry, 6 sweat, 6 dry if needed, and into mason jars with 62% boveda packs. Never a problem with mold, and I live in a high humidity climate. Then smoke em if ya got em.
    McLovin, Al T and oldhippy like this.
  9. Token_NZ

Token_NZ Active Member

How do you get seeds in your bud?
    McLovin likes this.
  10. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

Your harvest shouldn’t have seeds at all unless they hermied on you.
    Token_NZ likes this.
  11. Token_NZ

Token_NZ Active Member

Kek!
  12. donna becker

donna becker New Member

i seed them on purpose. The only way to get clones is to drive to Seattle.
    Token_NZ likes this.
  13. Token_NZ

Token_NZ Active Member

Is it not legal to send Clones in the Post?
  14. donna becker

donna becker New Member

i wish it were! Im still amazed seeds can be bought online.
    Token_NZ likes this.
  15. Token_NZ

Token_NZ Active Member

Yeah that's pretty neat!
  16. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Here’s what I do, but let me say if you have a BCNL dryer you should just use that and follow their instructions.

14 days ago I removed all major fans from my plants and chopped them at the stem and hung them upside down. The remained like this for 7 days in an environment of ~73F/ 58-60%RH, dark. D675F269-C4BD-4FA0-94CD-143F79F2CDC1.jpeg

On the 7th day god rested, but a lot of the buds were also snapping off the branches so I trimmed them off into large grocery store paper bags. It’s important to note that at this point everything is smelling like good marijuana - not like hay or grass. I also do not trim the bud at this point.

F101F002-8B11-44E9-82CD-5F003FB2331B.jpeg 55F338B4-60BA-41DC-940A-16085EE8E857.jpeg 0162349E-60AA-413E-B688-1515DDE541AA.jpeg

I then put these bags into a dark cabinet with an ambient environment of 73F/ 59%RH and leave them sitting open. Each day I gently move the buds around to make sure they’re getting good airflow and smelling like chronic (not hay or grass). Depending on your RH level, you can close/ fold the bag right above where the buds are; however make sure to check it after a few hours and if it smells like wet grass or hay, open the bag immediately because it needs to breathe and air out/ dry more.

After 7 days of being in the open paper bags (in my environment), the outside is crispy, but the buds are ultra sticky, everything smells like marijuana, but you can tell there’s a good bit of moisture still inside. 0C5647D3-C65A-4B64-A20B-3DCA410F9314.jpeg F27F60E6-6ECA-4640-8603-978CE3B4E415.jpeg 4211FE45-A34E-44CD-AC43-3D115614D4B1.jpeg

This is where it gets tricky because at this point you can move it into jars at 80% full, seal it up, and the RH monitors you put in the jars will read a perfect 58-62%. BUT... as soon as you do, all of the moisture from the inside of the buds is going to start being pulled out and typically after 12 hours of being sealed, you’ll notice when you open the jar that lovely smell you had going in your paper bags isn’t exactly the same anymore. It will be over time if you exchange air correctly and burp often for the right duration, but you have to be religious about it.

Because my ambient environment has a good RH range, what I do instead at this point is keep them in the paper bags and fold them closed. I’ll leave them like this for several more days and then trim and jar (or just jar without trimming and trim as I smoke), but when I do I’ll have avoided a lot of the stress/ burping/ pressure of ruining all my weed and still have very high quality, well cured weed.
    34C02FAB-C1DC-48EC-98AF-4662ADDA6950.jpeg

Key points: if your temp/ RH isn’t the same as my range - this process and timing will look different for you. Weed can/ will dry out very fast in paper bags if you have a 20%RH, so use your best judgement. Also, don’t jar your weed too soon! Usually when you think it’s dry - it’s not. If you jar early because you’re impatient and start to smell any form of wet grass/ hay, air it out immediately. If you smell ammonia, not good either. I’ve found smell to be the best teacher of what you should do and when, if your weed smells like good weed when growing, when hanging, when in paper bags, and in the jar - you’ve done it right. Follow your nose, good luck.
    Token_NZ likes this.
  17. Token_NZ

Token_NZ Active Member

GreenZ, dude your buds are beautiful, and looks at those Crystals! Your yield is huuuuge i take it your not using the BCN box to grow such large stems?? My outside Humidity for this time of the year is around 75% which is roughly the same as yours in Cali. Is that a dehumidifier in the top photo? Yep i hung mine for 7days, and also could smell the strains aroma. Yeah i made a mistake of listening to McLuvin and going to jar after hanging as opposed to bags cause i thought it felt to dry (Jokes) if your listening Mclovin no hard feelings :)
    @GreenZ on average how long does it take you to cure your weed, good enough to let your friends smoke and give you a bro nudge :) Thanks mate i appreciate this informative post on your drying process, currently im in my 2nd grow and iv gone with two strains this time (White widow and Critical mass which apparently is a hybrid of northern lights) currently two weeks into vegetation and these fan leaves on cratical mass understandably why its named massive!
  18. Token_NZ

Token_NZ Active Member

What kind of strain are those flowers mate?
  19. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

Thanks man, appreciate it.

I use my BCNL Roommate for seed starting, clones, and vegging - then I move plants to a tent to flower. Kind of a hybrid setup, but I love the bcnl box in this configuration.

The white box is a dehumidifier, nothing crazy but it helps ensure the humidity is at or below 60%RH when drying.

Using the method above the bud is definitely good enough to smoke at 2 weeks naturally, but I wouldn’t give it out to people until ~a month because if they didn’t burp it/ air it out it would deteriorate because it’s still wet. Depending on your environment and drying process, it could take less time or be longer. Varies from person to person and strain to strain.

Congrats on the second grow, I’m sure it will be killer and you should start up a journal so we can follow along.

The buds in the pics above are BOG’s Sour Strawberry Kush x DoHo (bred by Cannarado) and then a strain called Eagle Bill by Sensi. I was planning to reveg the Eagle bill, but it wasn’t looking so hot so I trashed it this morning. Currently starting flower on Grape Margy by Cannarado and Aliendawg x Irene Kush by Obsoul33t. After that I’ll run Sour D and Sundae Driver probably.
    Token_NZ likes this.