New owner used box with ?

Discussion in 'Grow Box Q&A' started by icemeister, Jul 8, 2019.

1. icemeister

icemeister New Member

i just got a 10 to 12 year old mother ship / roomate box. I built a stand for her and rebuilt the hydro box ( still working on modifying box ) have not tested ballast yet got new light. i am getting ready to put box to work with a test of auto flowers to see how she works. I do have a few questions as to the function of the box in hydro. 1. how important is the lid for a hydro grow? 2. what is the schedule to hook in a pump to the existing wiring for a feed and drain system? 3. for clones or very young plants what would you start the ballast setting at. Really new at this but very innovative at wanting to make this work.
    oldhippy likes this.
  2. Farmer J

Farmer J @onelunggrows

1. The lid blocks light, preventing algae. It holds the net pots and the plumbing for the drip emitters. Without a lid you could do a flood and drain system with an external reservior.

2. I think you would want the timer to engage the pump to flood at least 2 minutes every day.
    If you are talking about a flood and drain system I think it would be cool because you can bring the girls in and out for training. You can use 3", 4" even 6" rockwool cubes. The res shouldn't need a chiller either.
  3. icemeister

icemeister New Member

Thanks farmer J I was not clear about a lid coming with this model, i could make one as i repaired the box and beefed it up. i made the bottom smooth and added a drain that goes to the box i made to put the BCNL on. It will hold a five gallon bucket with room to spare so flood and drain it is. I was also thinking of using air pots.
    I have not found the instructions on the computer and i did get the box up and running today light fans and such are working just need to see what else it can do.
    I am starting with a clone box i made so have about a month of grow time before moving girls to flower tent so have some time to figure it out.
    yea i have built a chiller after reading most of the post on this site so may go for it anyways i have found better growth at this stage using one in the clone box. i got it down to 60 -64 degrees in a room that is 84.
    Thanks for the help if i can post picts i will
  4. icemeister

icemeister New Member

pic of stand i built

Attached Files:

5. icemeister

icemeister New Member

Finished my 2nd clone box and added some girls for first test of grow box. BCNL is coming along with its rebuild, filter is now mounted under box in stand. will post pict as soon as i can make it smaller.

Attached Files:

oldhippy, Farmer J and docgreen like this.
  6. icemeister

icemeister New Member

filter.jpeg pict of back of box and how i moved the filter to under the stand filter.jpeg filter.jpeg filter.jpeg
    Farmer J, GreenZ and docgreen like this.