Question of the day....CFL

djevans.ch

Hey guys and dolls....my question is, does the 200w CFL bulb in the veg chamber of the Bloombox run on any kind of ballast? I have pretty high hyrdo bills from this thing...(from 773 kwh a month to 1200!) and i found an led lamp that will replace a 200w fluro and i also found another one for the grow chamber, both giving me an 80 percent savings. Its got an e39 socket and should run unless its on a ballast. No one from bcnl is answering their phones so i cant ask. Thank you!!

Last edited:

Wizkid

I believe the CFL [bulb] has a built in ballast for itself.

labmonkey and myself have gutted the veg side on our bloomboxes and hardwired LED panels in to replace all that. it was pretty easy, and follows their light cycle program.

BCNL sells a LED retrofit kit for the flower side of your bloombox, that is pretty much plug and play if you can wait for them to start shipping again. The COB LEDs are very nice.

Last edited:

djevans.ch

I believe the CFL [bulb] has a built in ballast for itself.

labmonkey and myself have gutted the veg side on our bloomboxes and hardwired LED panels in to replace all that. it was pretty easy, and follows their light cycle program.

BCNL sells a LED retrofit kit for the flower side of your bloombox, that is pretty much plug and play if you can wait for them to start shipping again. The COB LEDs are very nice.
i dont want the retro fit. the bulb i got for the bloom side is plug and play. but the smaller LED is not and asks me if there is a ballast. so what you are saying is the sunmaster 200W CFL has a ballast built in? so in actuality i should be able to just take it out and put this one in since there would be no ballast.....right? i just dont want a fire.

Wizkid

i dont want the retro fit. the bulb i got for the bloom side is plug and play. but the smaller LED is not and asks me if there is a ballast. so what you are saying is the sunmaster 200W CFL has a ballast built in? so in actuality i should be able to just take it out and put this one in since there would be no ballast.....right? i just dont want a fire.
When I removed the e39 socket it was just 2 wires right into the DIN rail. no ballast. just mark the wires from the socket, and there is an available ground on the DIN rail.

djevans.ch

Thanks guys. When i researched the bulb from sunmaster i found out its ballast was built in so i put the new LED in and it works fine so far. Hoping for smaller hydro bill next month.

djevans.ch

So the light in the veg chamber is no problem but i just put in the one in the flower chamber. i replaced it with this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08J461DLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i thought by the description it was plug and play since it does say replacement for HPS on it. Ive lived thru a house fire and dont want that again so my question is.....and ive looked everywhere and cant find schematics....just to be perfectly safe here....what wires do i disable on the din rail that will disable the ballast yet still provide power to the bulb?? or do i shut down the ballast completely? im a girl and i have no electrical experience outside of a computer. can anyone help??? the first night it will power on is tonight. anyone??

trying to save hydro money here.

djevans.ch

So the light in the veg chamber is no problem but i just put in the one in the flower chamber. i replaced it with this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08J461DLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i thought by the description it was plug and play since it does say replacement for HPS on it. Ive lived thru a house fire and dont want that again so my question is.....and ive looked everywhere and cant find schematics....just to be perfectly safe here....what wires do i disable on the din rail that will disable the ballast yet still provide power to the bulb?? or do i shut down the ballast completely? im a girl and i have no electrical experience outside of a computer. can anyone help??? the first night it will power on is tonight. anyone??

trying to save hydro money here.
never mind. light doesnt work. im just gonna fork our and call an electrician.

Last edited:

djevans.ch

I think that's best. That electric stuff scares me too.
trouble is, no electrician in my area wants to bother because its too small a job! and bcnl has closed its doors. does anyone here know how to do it? or even how to tell me to remove it and direct wire?

Wizkid

Don't have an HID Bloom box so I'm not familiar how the wiring is in that.. or other ballasted systems.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer so I would approach this from a learning standpoint, and I would start with my box completely unplugged.. just examining the wires and where they go. I'm just looking.

If the wires only go from the E39 socket to the ballast and then the ballast to the electrical DIN rail... bypassing would be super easy.

If you want to push this, we can all work it out but it's going to take a lot of pictures.

But, at this point... with the status of bcnl closing, we should start to get more comfortable and intimate with the infrastructure of our boxes. This equipment can last us a lifetime, still.... We just might have to be a little more hands on going forward.

labmonkey

If you can unscrew lid on left hand side and take some pics
I am assuming you want to change the flower chamber to led
I've converted mine I have 2 x spider farm sf 2000 led panels in there I'll post some pics

labmonkey

Here's some pics from above and below

Attachments

• 20210525_140309.jpg
    20210525_140309.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210525_140238.jpg
    20210525_140238.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210525_140230.jpg
    20210525_140230.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210525_140243.jpg
    20210525_140243.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210525_140247.jpg
    20210525_140247.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210525_140332.jpg
    20210525_140332.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 28

djevans.ch

Don't have an HID Bloom box so I'm not familiar how the wiring is in that.. or other ballasted systems.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer so I would approach this from a learning standpoint, and I would start with my box completely unplugged.. just examining the wires and where they go. I'm just looking.

If the wires only go from the E39 socket to the ballast and then the ballast to the electrical DIN rail... bypassing would be super easy.

If you want to push this, we can all work it out but it's going to take a lot of pictures.

But, at this point... with the status of bcnl closing, we should start to get more comfortable and intimate with the infrastructure of our boxes. This equipment can last us a lifetime, still.... We just might have to be a little more hands on going forward.
hey wiz, it is in a din rail. do you still want pics?

djevans.ch

Here's some pics from above and below
im going to screw in a 60 watt LED corn bulb that is 6500k into the bloom chamber, its e39 fit. it cant use the ballast tho. Theres a glass sheet over it (entire bloom side) and i thought of just buying an led panel and setting it on top of the glass. i would just have to drill an opening for the cord then put it on a timer but then that defeats the whole auto setup going on the box. i already have a 40w in the veg chamber and its doing good. i have a plant in now that huge...pink lemonade and ready to bloom. if i have to i will finish it then shut that side down.

It really sucks about bcnl. what if we need parts...if the computer timer goes we have a useless box. last month they tried to get me to pay 500 for support. good damn thing i did not.

labmonkey

I take pics of the procedure how I did it
The led lights I use are dimmable as well which I recommend and use led lights with the samsung diodes look at the specs for spider farm sf Led lights you can get them cheaper if you shop around there's also light bars aswell but I do recommend the sf Led they are very good quality so don't worry we will help you as much as I can