Social Distancing

Farmer J

@onelunggrows
Hey guys, just wanted to start a thread, just for people to put down any thoughts you have during this global pandemic that effects all of us in one way or another.

So far I'm happy to report there have been no reported cases in the county I live in and a few neighboring counties so we are very lucky at this point. Our schools and non essential businesses have been shut down for a couple weeks now. I've been working still, however the hours are slow and we are mostly shutting down oil wells, the price dropped again, its not looking good for business anytime soon.

With the extra free time I have been modifying some things in my grow areas and been popping some seeds that have been in my collection for a while. I've watched plenty of Netflix and spent time with my kids. I grew some lion's mane mushrooms and they are absolutely delicious. I've went down some conspiracy theory rabbit holes on YouTube and I trimmed a couple pounds of bud.

I welcome you all to post any thoughts you have during this uncertain period of time, it can take some weight off your mind to share your thoughts and this community is a friendly place you can do it.

laurie

Hey Farmer J- thanks for this.:)
I started following you on Instagram a couple weeks ago - some awesome photos of those Lions Mane Mushrooms.!
I live in a rural area the constant population of our town is about 3000. When the university students are here that number doubles- but they have mostly gone home now of course.
To our knowledge there are no cases of exposure in our town - in some neighbouring towns yes. Most everything non essential is shut down going on 2 weeks here as well.
I am newly retired ( January ) - my husband is still working. Very easy to go down the rabbit hole of what ifs............. I've had a few moments just paralyzed mentally with fear / worry /concern / the unknown.......but mostly I've been able to maintain presence of mind.

In social distancing- I've spent time perfecting some recipes, read more books, remembered to message a few friends, listened to more music, and ate more of the food I like! ( but I also think Ive been social distancing since the 90's LOL )

I know people in the health care field -here yes but mostly in Ontario - that are of course directly affected by this pandemic. I'm keeping them in my thoughts as well as folks that have gotten sick or passed away. Some terrible times.

I've also gotta say - COVID 19 pulled my head outta my ass!!
I started LIVING.
EVERY day.

A million times I have heard (and likely also said LOL ) those cheesy sayings --------"Live every day like it's your last.""Everything happens for a reason."Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery and today is a gift. That's why we call it the present.""Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching."You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow".

BUT ya know WHAT!!! Those cheesy cliches are all quite true. And every day now I LIVE- FULLY:D
And every day I search for the good news story out there- just one is all we need- every day. And I hold out hope that one good news story every day will create The Butterfly Effect and people will just be kinder and find peace within.

Have an awesome day everyone:)

Last edited:

McLovin

Are we there yet?
Good topic, Farmer J. I happen to be at the epicenter in the US and have been hunkered down since the beginning of the month. It definitely feels surreal and what movies are made of. I’m almost to the point of wanting to contract the virus just to get it over with (provided I get the mild symptoms, of course.)

Some of my random thoughts have been how much our governments were so unprepared to not have the stockpiles of PPEs (personal protection equipment) needed for a pandemic when we’ve been put on notice for years. Our healthcare workers on the front lines using garbage bags and makeshift masks due to shortages. There’s still no vaccine for the Zika virus which was how many years ago? A lot of our goods and medicines come from China including generic medicines and PPEs. Guess how long the delays are now?

We’ll emerge from all of this eventually but will lessons be learned? Will this be a game changer for the next pandemic? We can only hope we’ll never see another in our lifetime.

Personally, on the bright side I just completed a bloombox harvest that will easily get me through a year with the stock I already have.

Last edited:

laurie

Agreed McLovin.
HOW we in North America - in this decade- DON'T have a stockpile of PPE is ludicrous.
And OVER 90% of the worlds penicillin ( as well as ingredients to make compounds of other medicine ) - -comes from China ???????? WHO the FACK let THAT happen??? Good GAWD !
THATS beyond comprehension to me.
I am not religious - but I pray that the powers that be- wake the FACK up and DO learn the lesson.
Serenity now. ( said with my best Kramer impression )

Papertroll v2

I just got out of the grocery store, they have all the isles blocked off and have lines taped on the ground to show the direction of travel that we are supposed to follow to ensure social distancing.
But there were several azzhats that refused to follow the direction of travel, getting close to and touching other shoppers and some were even pretending to cough.
It saddens me that people could be so ignorant and self centered .

Farmer J

@onelunggrows
How is everyone doing? I hope you are doing well. From the responses so far I would like to say that I am glad you are staying positive and I agree that the circumstances have us all thinking, feeling and acting differently than we have seen before. I never imagined that I would ever live in a time like this. What are some things that you are doing to overcome the isolation?

Our government doesn't seem to be doing much to help us financially, but they did increase their carbon tax, the death tax and gave themselves raises while expecting doctors to accept wage reductions. Nobody seems to know what to do almost everyone is limited to staying in the house unless necessary trips to the grocery store or gas station. They can fine people $1200/person for violation of 2m (6') spacing or carpooling with non immediate family members (same home address).

Good news is I still don't think we have any confirmed cases in our county yet and I don't know of anyone or anyone who knows anyone who has tested positive for covid and I'm hoping that it stays that way. I'm glad to live out in the sticks Haha. Stay safe everyone![/QUOTE]

McLovin

Are we there yet?
I think life is taking a major change as we knew it. Today crude oil is minus money a barrel. In other words, they’ll pay you to take it! It’s just so bizarre. How this all turns out in the end I have no idea but it will take years. Social graces like shaking hands is probably over. I was always fist pumping lately anyway. I hope everyone stays safe and please always be kind.

Farmer J

@onelunggrows
The curve seems to be flattening here, the covid cases in counties nearby have recovered and the closest current case is about 130km away from where I live. My opinion is we are doing an amazing job with social distancing.

Yeah crude costs more to produce and hold in tanks than its worth right now. Kim Jong ung is in critical condition after heart surgery today, so who really knows what will happen with that.

I planted 10 more seeds yesterday, bought some from a guy in Saskatchewan. One strain he calls SASKATOONBERRY and then I have SASKATOONBERRY x Jamaican Purple Kush. I dropped 5 of each in a glass of tap. Check him out on Instagram @toontown_grower

Timbitz84

Cool thread! I've always been a home body but Covid is changing that. Always wanted to stay home on days off but maybe it's my defiance with authority that doesn't like to be told what to do. I've gone for more walks in the last cpl months then the last year and it feels really good to take in the beauty of mother nature.
Its been pretty hard on the kids though. My sons 10th birthday is today and hes pretty sad about no party or friends over but he understands. My daughter turned 12 last month and I think this is hitting her the hardest. Loves to shop and hang with friends so in her mind life seems pointless. Doing our best with more board games and drives and walks but you can tell she's not the same.
We finally got our veg garden going and that's been a blessing. My wife is impressed with my germination success( wonder where I learned that) I haven't worked in almost a year due to a strike and covid but I'm not going to lie I dont miss working. I miss the routine but not the work. I work In logging manufacturing and China is our biggest buyer. Nice to see the forest get break from corporate greed for sure. My grandfather passed away 2 weeks ago and its been tough on the family. They are a huggy bunch so not being able to see each other is rough on them. Really strange time indeed and tbh I am thankful for family to get through it but its not something I'd like to see again in my lifetime. Be kind, great words to live by!! ✌

Well here it is June ...glad the BCNL forum is finally up again. Is everyone still sheltering? My state (Wash) is opening up slowly but i have no confidence, as a consumer, that people will take necessary precautions. The protests have seemed to taken attention away from the seriousness of the virus. Ive got 5 acres, retired, and a Bloom Box. I'm set to stay inside until theres a scientifically proven, tested, effective vaccine. Im a home body too so staying at home isnt a problem for me. Heck its a 20 mile rt to go get milk...so I always only ventured to town for very few reasons. Ive actually felt a bit of relief with the sheltering...no sense of urgency for ANYTHING! I dyed my hair pink, I live in my Ugg boots, I sit out on the porch a smoke a bowl at night and have Alexa play Marley...and watch my 4 dogs dig holes in the lawn. Thank goodness I live in Legal Land and the pot shops were deemed essential ;)

McLovin

Are we there yet?
Well here it is June ...glad the BCNL forum is finally up again. Is everyone still sheltering? My state (Wash) is opening up slowly but i have no confidence, as a consumer, that people will take necessary precautions. The protests have seemed to taken attention away from the seriousness of the virus. Ive got 5 acres, retired, and a Bloom Box. I'm set to stay inside until theres a scientifically proven, tested, effective vaccine. Im a home body too so staying at home isnt a problem for me. Heck its a 20 mile rt to go get milk...so I always only ventured to town for very few reasons. Ive actually felt a bit of relief with the sheltering...no sense of urgency for ANYTHING! I dyed my hair pink, I live in my Ugg boots, I sit out on the porch a smoke a bowl at night and have Alexa play Marley...and watch my 4 dogs dig holes in the lawn. Thank goodness I live in Legal Land and the pot shops were deemed essential ;)
You’re living the life, Donna!

well theres a bit of survivors guilt I feel as well. I know theres a lot of people stuck inside tiny apartments with kids/and or pets and no yard. Lets hope the world gets back to normal soon but only as soon as its safe.

I think life is taking a major change as we knew it. Today crude oil is minus money a barrel. In other words, they’ll pay you to take it! It’s just so bizarre. How this all turns out in the end I have no idea but it will take years. Social graces like shaking hands is probably over. I was always fist pumping lately anyway. I hope everyone stays safe and please always try to be kind.
\All that cheap gas and no where to drive to! :(

laurie

Also when social distancing- I started growing flowers and vegetables. Again- first time with a garden !
FD541619-975F-4AC4-A1F6-09698AC829C2.jpeg

Attachments

• EBBF886A-A860-4941-959A-DA63AFACA016.jpeg
    EBBF886A-A860-4941-959A-DA63AFACA016.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 34F3AB22-9F10-4A38-AA39-EA7CAE7C2E48.jpeg
    34F3AB22-9F10-4A38-AA39-EA7CAE7C2E48.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 19
  • AAEE2AD8-AC04-4903-86B6-07668BCE7D55.jpeg
    AAEE2AD8-AC04-4903-86B6-07668BCE7D55.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 043D7E71-76EA-4EBD-A85C-E0C36E96E7B7.jpeg
    043D7E71-76EA-4EBD-A85C-E0C36E96E7B7.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 16
  • AD904C77-0683-4987-AE67-4C9393A6D2DA.jpeg
    AD904C77-0683-4987-AE67-4C9393A6D2DA.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 9FCA7F0C-702F-47E2-A996-C98F0712F1F4.jpeg
    9FCA7F0C-702F-47E2-A996-C98F0712F1F4.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 18
  • D5FA4B20-0116-4E9A-A40F-905C25E70310.jpeg
    D5FA4B20-0116-4E9A-A40F-905C25E70310.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2A026BB6-9643-474B-9F3D-CF8CA993A891.jpeg
    2A026BB6-9643-474B-9F3D-CF8CA993A891.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 4059168F-8B44-4736-907B-6A39CDAF161D.jpeg
    4059168F-8B44-4736-907B-6A39CDAF161D.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 17

laurie

New houseplants, a very young garden, and 3 tomato plants (pic a few weeks ago)- had to anchor my tomato cages it gets a bit windy here. :)

Attachments

• A4A64DBA-0331-40AD-8491-9EE0C67D4D84.jpeg
    A4A64DBA-0331-40AD-8491-9EE0C67D4D84.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 176F2208-F423-4F94-B959-AB1137275142.jpeg
    176F2208-F423-4F94-B959-AB1137275142.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 68EFD043-3825-4B8E-9FF7-3913A48D60EB.jpeg
    68EFD043-3825-4B8E-9FF7-3913A48D60EB.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1850FF25-047B-413A-91BE-CF8C9FFB0F83.jpeg
    1850FF25-047B-413A-91BE-CF8C9FFB0F83.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DCF2FCA4-46F3-416B-A8E8-A464663E73E4.jpeg
    DCF2FCA4-46F3-416B-A8E8-A464663E73E4.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 21
  • 3569EDE7-F695-40C4-B8D2-83D1F4BB1F48.jpeg
    3569EDE7-F695-40C4-B8D2-83D1F4BB1F48.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

oldhippy

Turn your problems into wisdom
Cool thread! I've always been a home body but Covid is changing that. Always wanted to stay home on days off but maybe it's my defiance with authority that doesn't like to be told what to do. I've gone for more walks in the last cpl months then the last year and it feels really good to take in the beauty of mother nature.
Its been pretty hard on the kids though. My sons 10th birthday is today and hes pretty sad about no party or friends over but he understands. My daughter turned 12 last month and I think this is hitting her the hardest. Loves to shop and hang with friends so in her mind life seems pointless. Doing our best with more board games and drives and walks but you can tell she's not the same.
We finally got our veg garden going and that's been a blessing. My wife is impressed with my germination success( wonder where I learned that) I haven't worked in almost a year due to a strike and covid but I'm not going to lie I dont miss working. I miss the routine but not the work. I work In logging manufacturing and China is our biggest buyer. Nice to see the forest get break from corporate greed for sure. My grandfather passed away 2 weeks ago and its been tough on the family. They are a huggy bunch so not being able to see each other is rough on them. Really strange time indeed and tbh I am thankful for family to get through it but its not something I'd like to see again in my lifetime. Be kind, great words to live by!! ✌
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. He's still with you bro. I feel your goodness and it warms my heart. God bless you man.