1. Please note effective Jan 27, 2020 the BCNL Public Forums will no longer allow new threads or comments. The content will remain for review for the time being as we work towards creating an up-to-date FAQ based on the information shared in the forums. Registered BCNL customers will still have access to the Members Only Forums where we will be pleased to support you.

Water Chiller Install

Discussion in 'Grow Box Q&A' started by McLovin, Dec 13, 2014.

1. SerenityReef

SerenityReef The Tinkerer

Personally I would run a chiller unless your natural water temp sits above 65° and under 70°.

It's a safety factor for times like heat waves, preventive measure against root rot, and adds extra control once you get some experience with it.
    James Marsden likes this.
  2. donna becker

donna becker New Member

ok I'm so new to this and my bloom box isn't even here yet...but why do we need a water chiller?
    Captchaos420 likes this.
  3. Gzb107

Gzb107 Active Member

To control res temps, so you dont get root rot
    Captchaos420 likes this.
  4. Captchaos420

Captchaos420 Flick Dagger Bum Bag

I switched to soil because I found it was better quality/and quantity. But the chiller is to control temperature like Gzb 106 said
    Farmer J likes this.
  5. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

Interesting...this goes against everything I've read and done.
  6. James Marsden

James Marsden Well-Known Member

You switched to soil for what? Think maybe you just couldn't figure out the hydro business.
  7. Gzb107

Gzb107 Active Member

Personally I think hydro is a pain the ass. Hydro does grow faster bud but it has its share of problems. Only downside to soil is the plants don’t grow as fast
    Captchaos420 likes this.
  8. James Marsden

And the pathogen that go with it, and the difficulty to rebound from health concerns, and bugs and dirt everywhere. Once you learn how to use hydro it's actually easier and more efficient than soil by huge margins.
    SecretSanta, McLovin and docgreen like this.
  9. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

The hard part is getting dialed in. I see new growers give up too easily for whatever reason before becoming proficient. My investment wouldn't allow me to not try and master it.
  10. Gzb107

Gzb107 Active Member

Here is the problem with hydro in regards to the res situation with BC bloom box. There is no segregation between plants roots and if you get Pythium all your plants get it. If plant roots isolated then hydro is nit bad. With soil it’s not so because of the segregation between plant containers. Soil does have pathogens but I am not saying you should dig up dirty from the backyard. No you go with some type of roots organic mix and add some benes / compost brew when you water your plants. And if you are using super soil then all you do is add benes and PH balance RO and you are good to go. For me it’s not giving up on hydro, but increasing my efficiency with little work you have to do.
    SecretSanta and Captchaos420 like this.
  11. James Marsden

And hiding it from the house hold as well. When you try to be sneaky you got bit. When you didnt heed the advice that was given to you, you got root. Had nothing to do with one plants roots it was because you didn't follow directions. Hydro is by far the most efficient method of cultivation by far. Being efficient at a lower level if botany doesn't make it better. Giving up on a superior way of cultivation because you were too afraid to ask for help or hiding things so you can't follow proper ratios isn't a fault in your means of horticulture. If it were less efficient and more difficulty it wouldn't be the number one way world wide to cultivate.
  12. Captchaos420

Personal taste big man. But I’m sure you “think” you know it all don’t you. I think maybe you should post less and pay attention more.
  13. Captchaos420

To each his own. I personally find the taste and quality better.
  14. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

I don't doubt it with the experience you had. Hydro isn't for everybody.
  15. James Marsden

Easy big guy. No one's heir to fight you. The boxes were designed for hydro and that's why we heir are strong for hydro. That's not to say they're arnt soil guys around.
    If you don't like my commentary please don't let the door hit you on the way out. This is a talk free zone so please try not to cyber bully people.
    Chad, SecretSanta and oldhippy like this.
  16. SaltyDawg13

SaltyDawg13 Member

McLovin, how did you rewire from matenlock to 3 prong plug outlets? Like this idea as I am about to add chiller and pump (and maybe BlueLab Guardian Monitor). Any instructions and pics you could provide would be great.
  17. McLovin

McLovin Free Old Hippie

First a disclaimer, my box has been out of warranty for years. It has paid for itself many times over and if anything "blows up", I would buy a new one tomorrow. That said, I do not advocate anyone doing this if they are not an electrician and are unfamiliar with positive, negative and neutral.

It became inefficient having to change out a pump or fan due to the matelocks. I'm not sure what everyone else does with them. Do you guys buy replacement fans and pumps with them on? Anyway, with power cord to the box removed, I snipped the wires going to the matelocks. Then with a flathead screwdriver, carefully removed the matelocks. They just snap in their housing. Then I attached the female end of an extension cord to the snipped wires using the orange wire nuts and electrical tape.

In this overhead pic you can get an idea of what I did. All matelocks in the BB have been removed.

IMG_1972.JPG

What I have going on here is the fan is plugged in (against the back side of receptacle). On the other side of the receptacle I installed an on/off switch for the chiller pump so I can simply turn the pump off when doing nute changes. I also had to attach a 3 prong adapter to accommodate the pump.
    IMG_1971.JPG

The purpose of those matelocks is to prevent plugs from coming out. These plugs are tight and not much chance of them falling out.
  18. SaltyDawg13

SaltyDawg13 Member

When adding BlueLab pump, has anyone attached to power inside the box or powered from outside? How was meter attached inside the box?
    Just purchased JBJ 1/15 chiller and no connections included so ordering now so I can in stall chiller and have ph pump and need to install. Trying to find everything at local Home Depo but having troubles. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
  19. SaltyDawg13

SaltyDawg13 Member

Also, for ph pump, what is ph down solution prepped? So confused.....
  20. Farmer J

Farmer J @onelunggrows

pH down is very potent. I use Advanced Nutrients pH down. I learned to add 1ml of pH down (per gallon of nute solution) to drop the pH by one unit. It's not exactly perfect but gets me pretty close. If it only needs to go down a few decimals I just add a drop of pH down and test, then repeat until pH is somewhere between 5.5 and 5.8
    I hope that this helps, if it is confusing maybe someone else can explain it better.
    SaltyDawg13, docgreen and SecretSanta like this.