Water Chiller Install

Discussion in 'Grow Box Q&A' started by McLovin, Dec 13, 2014.

1. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

@zimmy69 Hoping this provides more clarity on what the air pump swap looked like (couldnt figure out how to attach pics in conversation). I’m def a visual learner so thought this could be helpful. Make sure your machine is off and unplugged before starting.

Here’s what the original air pump looked like, only it had a metal brace over top that had to be removed:
    0428F158-8B48-4D82-92A8-A08031042066.jpeg

Step 1: Cut the black power cord on back.
    05D3F5C8-425B-418E-8ACA-539F8CD0FE67.jpeg

Step 2: Trace the two cords that were connected to this air pump to figure out which one goes to din rail and which one goes to Airpump shutoff switch.
    E672EC76-569A-46A6-968C-25A81A6860AB.jpeg

Step 3: Cut the power cord on your new air pump (in my case it was the GH Dual Diaphram). Inside you will see 3 wires - black (lead), white (neutral), green (ground). Expose a little wire on the black and white.
    47ADDF39-ED6F-4AE0-A447-DDD37A8B4E8B.jpeg

Step 4: Connect the black wire from the NEW air pump to the EXISTING wire connected to the Airpump Shutoff switch. Connect the white wire from the NEW air pump to the EXISTING wire connected to the din rail. Add wire connectors/ cover safely and you’re done.
    A0607CF8-1345-4A0A-BC8F-433B3D8A9B8E.jpeg

(Optional) Step 5: Drill a hole so you can run the new air pump power cord from the Airpump Shutoff switch through the machine (I went down the original air tube slots and out the bottom because my GH will sit outside/ below the cabinet).
    E69751C8-1DE4-4D0E-85E5-39197F76C3D5.jpeg

Considerations:
    -Make sure your machine is completely unplugged before starting.
    -Identify where you want to put your new air pump and cut the factory power cord appropriately so you leave enough length. Hope this helped!
    McLovin and docgreen like this.
  2. zimmy69

zimmy69 Member

thank you for you reply and all the pics!
    GreenZ likes this.
  3. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Hi everyone , I have been watching this thread and ready to install my active aqua chiller!!
    Question for @McLovin
    So I have picked up 1/2 Id hose (black) for the chiller and have the 5/8 runner grommets and a 5/8 drill bit to drill the holes in my box ...scary
    Problem is that I feel as though the 5/8 drill bit isn’t big enough as it fits through the hole on the grommet... I assume that the grommets will fit but wanted to
    Ask for some advise
    Thanks in advance . Your method @McLovin i feel is the best
    docgreen and McLovin like this.
  4. McLovin

McLovin Harvest No Plant Before Its Prime

Hi Shannon, welcome to the forum. My method is basic and simple but I’m impressed with how creative other members have taken it to another level.

Does the grommet slide over the hose snugly?As long as it does, you’re fine. Start out making the holes in the box slightly smaller anyway and then widen them until you get the grommets to fit on. Then simply slide the hoses through. Where are you putting the holes?
    docgreen likes this.
  5. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Hi @McLovin
    The grommet does slide over the hose snug... ok makes sense to make the smaller hole thanks
    I’m thinking of putting the holes on the side of the box near center and about 12 inches high. My thought was to go in the side like woodsburner use elbows and drill holes as well through the top of the lid for the flower box. Little different than you but wondering how accessible is it using woodsburners method for res changes. Debating here
  6. McLovin

Definitely give that a lot of thought before drilling. With HID lighting, the plastic of the reservoir deteriorates over time and becomes brittle. Also consider ease of removing the reservoir if your situation warrants it.
    docgreen likes this.
  7. Shannon

Shannon New Member

@McLovin
    Thanks these are definitely things to consider for sure. More thought process , then commit and execute
    Have you determined what the best gph work best for pump.? Also I got the 1/10 hp chiller and seems like a lot for the size res in the BB. wondering what works best for you
  8. McLovin

You’ll be happy with the 1/10. I haven’t heard any complaints about it.

The pump I find works best for me is the bottom draw 132 gph. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PXDX0E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RAcCxbQ45NJ4T
    Shannon and docgreen like this.
  9. thestonernerd

thestonernerd Active Member

Consider how this modification will impact your ability to raise the lid to access the root zone/pumps/air stones, etc during a grow. It's only my second grow, but I'm peaking under the lid daily. Hopefully as confidence grows there will not be a need for such frequent checks.
    docgreen likes this.
  10. GreenZ

GreenZ Well-Known Member

One thing is for certain, you’ll love life with a chiller so don’t think about it too much. I tried to take the “I’ll show them” approach with the smarter guys on this forum and get creative with RDWC to negate need for a chiller, but was wrong. I love RDWC, but I really love it with a chiller LOL. I drilled holes and added bulkheads on the bottom of the res, and the issue I found with that approach is unless you drill (bigger) holes through the vents/ sheet metal on the bottom of the cabinet that the bulkheads can fit through, they will raise the res an inch or more so it’s not flush. I still like the idea of going in through the bottom, but the metal with the vents is a PIA to drill through because the holesaw bits get caught on the openings. Other than that, drilling through the boxes isn’t anything to worry about - practice on a piece of wood to make sure the holesaw you’re using is the best fit for your bulkheads and then go to town. GL!
    Shannon, docgreen and Farmer J like this.
  11. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Thanks @McLovin
    i know this is where I am still thinking. I have a ph controller that I will set up and really only will need to be in there once a week for res change but do want to check roots etc. And Mclovin is concerned about the integrity of the lid after time and drilling into it could compound this??
    docgreen likes this.
  12. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Thanks for the advice, little worried about doing this but chilled water is coming
    docgreen likes this.
  13. docgreen

docgreen #respecttheshark

You’ve got this! I completely understand the trepidation... I’ve had to to just a bit of tweaking/modifying myself ;) and I can still remember the first time I had drill in hand!

Looking forward to seeing you over on the Member’s side of the forum :cool: