White Rhino- 1st grow in BloomBox

oldhippy

Turn your problems into wisdom
You are probably right. Maybe 10 inches for the first and 20 for the 2nd? If do that , it should allow for 18 inches from the 2nd net and the light. The plants are around 6-7 inches tall now.
You might measure 18 inches but those last few inches or so won't get direct light, some of your tops will be in shadow and therefor not optimal for bud development. Try not to grow to the ceiling.

Austin P

End of week 2 veg. Going with week 3 future harvest recipe + cal/mag and hydroguard using 7 gallons of RO. Still going a little lighter on super B +. I am still battling pH spiking up. I changed res on Saturday morning and let the soup mix for 1 hour. Went into box at 5.7. Checked it last night (36 hours later) and we were up to 6.0. I checked it today about 18 hours after last check and we are at 6.2. I always check my probe with 7.0 solution prior to checking the box. I make sure it reads 7 then dunk it in clean water before I take my reading. I topped off with gallon of RO today with some pH down and hydroguard. Back right corner still looks a little droopy as we start week 3 veg. I topped all 5 and have the front middle pulled down with plant wire to grow into the void to the right. I removed some of the large fan leaves that were blocking out potential bud sites. I am waiting on the t5 LED upgrade to arrive so I can install and add Scrog. Originally they sent me the normal t5 rather than the LED. I am monitoring the average RH in the box to see if I can remove humidifier or if I should just leave the smaller one in. I did the Internal Fan Upgrade, I don't see how there would be enough air movement without it. I added a 1.5 inch access on the right side of the box for additional plugins needed. I used a rubber grommet for light leaking and clean look. I made sure there is no light leak at the access point. This is where I plug in my 02 grow, circulation pump and humidifier.

Attachments

oldhippy

It's ok and normal for your PH to rise during the week. It actually helps your plants absorb the different nutrients as not all nutrients are absorbed at the same PH level.

1617662878922.png

1617662910667.png

Austin P

It's ok and normal for your PH to rise during the week. It actually helps your plants absorb the different nutrients as not all nutrients are absorbed at the same PH level.

View attachment 13392

View attachment 13393
My biggest concern was that it went from 5.7 to 6.2 in 2 days. I'm not sure how comfortable I am letting it continue to run up once it hit 6.2. I am all for the drifting to allow different nutes to be absorbed but I haven't found the sweet spot yet of reading the plants on how many days I should let it flow up before bringing it back to 5.7-5.8.

Any advice or should I just let it climb?

laurie

My biggest concern was that it went from 5.7 to 6.2 in 2 days. I'm not sure how comfortable I am letting it continue to run up once it hit 6.2. I am all for the drifting to allow different nutes to be absorbed but I haven't found the sweet spot yet of reading the plants on how many days I should let it flow up before bringing it back to 5.7-5.8.

I have no advice for you @Austin P - @oldhippy ‘s got that covered- I just wanted to say your plants look awesome ✌

oldhippy

You will only need to correct if the pH level exits the optimal 5.5–6.5 range. As your plants grow the fluctuations will diminish a bit. The further along you get in the grow (flower) you will notice via the second chart provided that the PH needs to be higher than what is needed in veg. You're doing great. Peace and love brother. Laurie is right, your plants look nice and healthy. Let the PH get to 6.6 before you lower it. Don't get locked into the how many days thing.

Last edited:

oldhippy

Another thing to take into consideration is your PPM. Excessive use of PH down or PH up will dramatically effect your PPM by raising it to levels unadvisable. Use as little as possible. When using PH up or down, monitor your PPM as well. You're doing good. Most newbies aren't at your level. After you get a few grows under your belt with your box, you'll be a rock star I'm sure. Thanks for sharing with us. It helps everyone.

Austin P

End of week 3 veg and the ladies are looking nice. First scrog was too big and couldn't be manipulated had to wait for trellis to arrive and could be cut to size. I had issues with my suction cup mounted hooks for a little bit but now I am confident they wont fall on the plants. It was later and higher than I planned. I now see why @oldhippy suggested 8 inch for the first net as now they are at the 15 inch and I wish they would have already been on. I am also thinking about removing it entirely, not too sure at the moment. The girls were big drinkers this week and reservoir was a little lighter than I anticipated. I use 7 gal as my initial res and topped off with 2 gal over the course of the week; about 4.5 gallons came out when I drained. Roots look great and thriving. I was getting a little sediment on 1 side of the tank so I added a 2nd circulation pointed in a different direction and it seems to help. One thing I didn't document last week was the sediment I found in the res, it looks like stained suber B particulates. I used some of the suction cup hooks and hoisted the lid into the air (super careful of the roots) to shopvac and mini flush out the reservoir. there was no bad smell or anything wrong with the roots. Not sure what I experienced but adding the 2nd circulation pump seems to have alleviated my issues and res was clear and beautiful during this weeks' change over. I am needing to clean my 02grow emitter as there is some calcification building up (from the calmag I believe). I read somewhere that you can dunk it is CLR and rinse in tap water to clean it. This week I did a little more leaf stripping to increase air flow and light penetration. I used some garden wire to pull some of the plants main stems away from the walls. I found a few branches that look like they will be prime clone candidates that I will take later this week. I have some work being done to my house this next weekend so I will update as I can get to it. Growing this plant is bringing me joy! I am enjoying every minute of it!

Last edited:

oldhippy

End of week 3 veg and the ladies are looking nice. First scrog was too big and couldn't be manipulated had to wait for trellis to arrive and could be cut to size. I had issues with my suction cup mounted hooks for a little bit but now I am confident they wont fall on the plants. It was later and higher than I planned. I not see why @oldhippy suggested 8 inch for the first net as now they are at the 15 inch and I wish they would have already been on. I am also thinking about removing it entirely, not too sure at the moment. The girls were big drinkers this week and reservoir was a little lighter than I anticipated. I use 7 gal as my initial res and topped off with 2 gal over the course of the week; about 4.5 gallons came out when I drained. Roots look great and thriving. I was getting a little sediment on 1 side of the tank so I added a 2nd circulation pointed in a different direction and it seems to help. One thing I didn't document last week was the sediment I found in the res, it looks like stained suber B particulates. I used some of the suction cup hooks and hoisted the lid into the air (super careful of the roots) to shopvac and mini flush out the reservoir. there was no bad smell or anything wrong with the roots. Not sure what I experienced but adding the 2nd circulation pump seems to have alleviated my issues and res was clear and beautiful during this weeks' change over. I am needing to clean my 02grow emitter as there is some calcification building up (from the calmag I believe). I read somewhere that you can dunk it is CLR and rinse in tap water to clean it. This week I did a little more leaf stripping to increase air flow and light penetration. I used some garden wire to pull some of the plants main stems away from the walls. I found a few branches that look like they will be prime clone candidates that I will take later this week. I have some work being done to my house this next weekend so I will update as I can get to it. Growing this plant is bringing me joy! I am enjoying every minute of it!
What happened with your scrog?

Austin P

What is the problem with 8 inches?
No problem with it at 8 inches but because my first net was a bust, I wasn't able to put up the net until now when they are 15 inches tall. I was saying I wish I would have been able to put them on at 8 inches like you had suggested but due to my circumstances it didn't work out and my plants put up big vertical growth in the time it took the new net to arrive. Next time I will be able to place at 8 inches and I won't have a problem

oldhippy

No problem with it at 8 inches but because my first net was a bust, I wasn't able to put up the net until now when they are 15 inches tall. I was saying I wish I would have been able to put them on at 8 inches like you had suggested but due to my circumstances it didn't work out and my plants put up big vertical growth in the time it took the new net to arrive. Next time I will be able to place at 8 inches and I won't have a problem
Oh, I see. Hey, just to let you know, I have a nice scrog that I bought when I first got my box. I find it's more cumbersome and problematic in these small boxes. I don't use it at all anymore ... but with that said please understand I have plants growing in all 18 baskets. If I were to have less plants I might reconsider the use thereof. I have 10 Northern Lights #5 X Haze seeds (not feminized) ... I may use it then so I can create a fuller canopy. Austin, I do recommend you forget the scrog this grow. You don't really need it. Your plants look healthy and if you haven't flipped to flower you should. Your doing great bro. Take it easy and don't overcomplicate things for this, your first. grow. Keep it simple and straightforward. Get the process down and enjoy a nice harvest. You can develop and add skills as you continue growing. There is more to life than speeding it up. Just chill and watch God's magic happen. I promise you're heart will be full. You're doing great. Peace and Love.

Austin P

just so I have this information in 2 places I can revert back to this chart on exactly what I did during this grow.

Each reservoir is 7 gallons. I have played around with 7 Gal RO -OR- 5 gal RO with 2 Gal distilled. I find that PH has fluctuated less drastically with the 5+2 method but this could be attributed to plants getting older.

Attachments

oldhippy

just so I have this information in 2 places I can revert back to this chart on exactly what I did during this grow.

Each reservoir is 7 gallons. I have played around with 7 Gal RO -OR- 5 gal RO with 2 Gal distilled. I find that PH has fluctuated less drastically with the 5+2 method but this could be attributed to plants getting older.
You keep such good records. I see you have a question mark on the last week of flower. You should base that decision on where trichome development is. I'm in agreement with you in regards to less PH fluctuation during the later stage of your plants life. Using distilled water is robbing your plants of electrolytes and doing so while the plants are forming those wonderful buds is not a good thing. The only time I use distilled water is when I'm starting a new grow by adjusting the PH of the distilled water to 5.6 and using the paper towel method to get the seeds popping into life.

Stages in the development of Trichomes

TRICHOME STATEDESCRIPTION
Unformed or Clear
  • The Trichomes isn’t fully developed yet. The stalk is still growing.
  • The head of the trichome isn’t formed or isn’t perfectly round yet.
  • No THC or CBD production has started.
Some are Clear, some are Milky
  • THC production has started in some Thricomes.
  • The levels of THC aren’t at their highest.
  • Not ready to harvest.
Mostly or all Milky
  • THC levels are at their highest.
  • If you’re aiming for an very upper type effect this is the window for harvest.
Mostly milky and some are turning golden/amber
  • THC glands are starting to deteriorate.
  • THC levels are starting to reduce.
  • CBD levels are starting to increase.
  • If you’re looking for that mildly upper high this is the time to harvest.
Mostly or all golden/amber
  • THC Glands have fully deteriorated.
  • CBD levels are at their highest and THC levels at their lowest.
  • If you’re looking for more of a chill/”couch potato” high this is when you want to harvest.

At least 2 weeks before harvesting you want to start flushing your plants. At each watering from this point on you will stop giving them any nutrients.
This will force the plant to extract all the needed nutrients, like Nitrogen, from the buds and leaves in order to keep living. You might think this is counter productive, but all those nutrients in the buds will waste your harvest.
Whether it’s taste or health wise, all these nutrients need to be extracted from the flowers leaving only the cannabinoïd that are produced by your strain.

This means that while observing the Trichomes you must think ahead in order to start flushing your plants in time.
If you’re hesitating start a little earlier than later, less nutrients does mean less weight, but also tastier buds 🙂

Do the ice water/darkness thing at the end of the flush. Then harvest. During this ice/darkness bath you don't even need to PH the water/ice. Forget the bottles, just put the ice directly into the reservoir.

Austin P

You keep such good records. I see you have a question mark on the last week of flower. You should base that decision on where trichome development is. I'm in agreement with you in regards to less PH fluctuation during the later stage of your plants life. Using distilled water is robbing your plants of electrolytes and doing so while the plants are forming those wonderful buds is not a good thing. The only time I use distilled water is when I'm starting a new grow by adjusting the PH of the distilled water to 5.6 and using the paper towel method to get the seeds popping into life.

Stages in the development of Trichomes

TRICHOME STATEDESCRIPTION
Unformed or Clear
  • The Trichomes isn’t fully developed yet. The stalk is still growing.
  • The head of the trichome isn’t formed or isn’t perfectly round yet.
  • No THC or CBD production has started.
Some are Clear, some are Milky
  • THC production has started in some Thricomes.
  • The levels of THC aren’t at their highest.
  • Not ready to harvest.
Mostly or all Milky
  • THC levels are at their highest.
  • If you’re aiming for an very upper type effect this is the window for harvest.
Mostly milky and some are turning golden/amber
  • THC glands are starting to deteriorate.
  • THC levels are starting to reduce.
  • CBD levels are starting to increase.
  • If you’re looking for that mildly upper high this is the time to harvest.
Mostly or all golden/amber
  • THC Glands have fully deteriorated.
  • CBD levels are at their highest and THC levels at their lowest.
  • If you’re looking for more of a chill/”couch potato” high this is when you want to harvest.

At least 2 weeks before harvesting you want to start flushing your plants. At each watering from this point on you will stop giving them any nutrients.
This will force the plant to extract all the needed nutrients, like Nitrogen, from the buds and leaves in order to keep living. You might think this is counter productive, but all those nutrients in the buds will waste your harvest.
Whether it’s taste or health wise, all these nutrients need to be extracted from the flowers leaving only the cannabinoïd that are produced by your strain.

This means that while observing the Trichomes you must think ahead in order to start flushing your plants in time.
If you’re hesitating start a little earlier than later, less nutrients does mean less weight, but also tastier buds 🙂

Do the ice water/darkness thing at the end of the flush. Then harvest. During this ice/darkness bath you don't even need to PH the water/ice. Forget the bottles, just put the ice directly into the reservoir.
I am so blessed to have you available! Thank you for guiding me in this new adventure. I (like many) didn't really know the difference between RO and Distilled. I googled a few articles and see where you are coming from. Back to 100% RO. I guess this will be a good "experiment" if my lack of pH spikes were age of plant or the distilled water. Bless you brother.

oldhippy

I am so blessed to have you available! Thank you for guiding me in this new adventure. I (like many) didn't really know the difference between RO and Distilled. I googled a few articles and see where you are coming from. Back to 100% RO. I guess this will be a good "experiment" if my lack of pH spikes were age of plant or the distilled water. Bless you brother.
It's all love man. We are one. God bless you. Peace and Love. Thank you for being you and being here. Pay it forward brother and your heart will be full.

Austin P

So we scrapped the scrog this time around. I let the ladies go a few days longer and flipped to flower 2 days before res change last week. We are calling it end of week 4 veg and now we are in week 1 ( day 5) of flower. Roots in res are looking pearly white and huge. I peeked under the lid and they are going crazy and pretty much fill every inch of the reservoir with just 5 plants. After flipping to flower I waiting for new growth to be evident and did another leaf strip. I plan to evaluate on day 14 and day 21 for additional fan leaf stripping but from what I have read, not too much defoliation after week 3 until closer to harvest. I took clones 3 days before flipping to flower and the clones have roots sprouting. Roots are approx 1/2 inch and covering both sides of the stalk. I used clonex rooting gel, clonex feed solution, hydroguard and a product called "great white." This is mycorrhizae from a company called Plant Revolution and it works like magic! This was my first time taking clones and I took 12 cuttings in total from 5 plants. 100% of them have roots. I am waiting on a new drain hose from BCNL as the first one leaks out of the end when the mister is on so I currently have the end of the hose in one of the small puck holes to avoid puddling, that work around will not be viable if I am begging with 12 plants in the 12 site lid. I am going to try and veg in the left side but I have a 2x4 tent I may have to move the little ones in to if this perpetual grow timeline is screwy. I was kind of hoping for the clones to take a bit longer than 1 week for roots to give me some times before having to truly put them in veg. I won't complain!

Attachments

Last edited: