White Rhino- 1st grow in BloomBox

oldhippy

Turn your problems into wisdom
So we scrapped the scrog this time around. I let the ladies go a few days longer and flipped to flower 2 days before res change last week. We are calling it end of week 4 veg and now we are in week 1 ( day 5) of flower. Roots in res are looking pearly white and huge. I peeked under the lid and they are going crazy and pretty much fill every inch of the reservoir with just 5 plants. After flipping to flower I waiting for new growth to be evident and did another leaf strip. I plan to evaluate on day 14 and day 21 for additional fan leaf stripping but from what I have read, not too much defoliation after week 3 until closer to harvest. I took clones 3 days before flipping to flower and the clones have roots sprouting. Roots are approx 1/2 inch and covering both sides of the stalk. I used clonex rooting gel, clonex feed solution, hydroguard and a product called "great white." This is mycorrhizae from a company called Plant Revolution and it works like magic! This was my first time taking clones and I took 12 cuttings in total from 5 plants. 100% of them have roots. I am waiting on a new drain hose from BCNL as the first one leaks out of the end when the mister is on so I currently have the end of the hose in one of the small puck holes to avoid puddling, that work around will not be viable if I am begging with 12 plants in the 12 site lid. I am going to try and veg in the left side but I have a 2x4 tent I may have to move the little ones in to if this perpetual grow timeline is screwy. I was kind of hoping for the clones to take a bit longer than 1 week for roots to give me some times before having to truly put them in veg. I won't complain!
You're a natural brother. Congratulations on all you've done so far. Really nice. Peace and love.

Austin P

***late addition*** I had some family stuff come up this last weekend and we had to put our older dog down, I have not been in the right mindset to add to this post until today. When I first started this grow I named all 5 plants with a nickname for our dog Kai-Lee. My favorite plant produced more clones than the others and her name iss "Z-Kai." Z-Kai is becoming the mother a few more times. I am working on getting a 2x4 tent set up with a DIY DWC. It has a bit more headspace and I want to see what this plant does with a bit more veg time. The start of week 2 flower was Friday 4/23 with res change in the evening. pH is smoothing out during the week but I have noticed that the change in veg to flower nutrient recipe drops my initial res pH to ~4.5 after mixing for 2 hours. I am using the same RO water than started at ~6.5 so I have had to use pH up a bit more than I have yet during this grow so far. The lady's are beginning to stretch and showing their pistils. Roots are looking fantastic. I am finding I am topping off with 1 gallon of RO water pH'd with Calmag/Hydroguard added 3-4 times between res changes. I measure the water in my shopvac after draining the res and it looks like these plants are drinking A LOT. I start with 7 Gal, and between top offs we end up with 10-11 gallons put in the reservoir each week. When I do a res change, there is only about 4-4.5 gallons of water that come out of the box.

Attachments

Austin P

What difference 4 days make. This was on Day 14 of flower and right before a defoliation/ fan leaf removal. I did not remove 100% of fan leaves but cleaned up the legs and thinned out the canopy to make sure all bud sites are getting light love.

Attachments

oldhippy

My dear friend. My thoughts are with you and I feel your pain. God bless Kai-Lee. I am so sorry brother. You've lost a family member and I so want you to know that I love you and I love Kai-Lee. I think it's awesome that you named your plants after Kai-Lee. So thoughtful. I don't want to really talk about your plants right now, you seem to have that locked down. Oh my goodness, I wish I could give you a great big hug. I love you. God loves you. Stay strong and find peace in knowing you will see Kai-Lee another day. That tail will be wagging and the reunion will be a deep heart felt love that will fill your heart with the warmth only a dog can provide. Kai-Lee will live forever in your heart. Peace and Love.

Austin P

Start of week 3 flower. These are the after pictures from day 14 de foliation. Everything is going well. Bud sites are starting to develop nicely. I will be switching on the C02 on Wednesday(day 21 of flower). The last picture is a few of the clones I transplanted to soil for a buddy. This leaves me with 8 rooted in the 12 site for the 2nd run and 1 clone that is turning into the main mom moving forward. I should be setting up my tent this up coming week for an additional post on the "beside the box" section. Going to try those 8 clones under some LED and let her veg a bit longer. I think I can get a least an additional 12-16 inches on these ladies in the larger set up with more headspace.

Attachments

Austin P

Start of week 4 flower today with a reservoir change. I re calibrated 2 different pH pens today to make sure I wasnt going crazy and my source RO water hadnt changed. The last few res changes I have made has seen a drop in pH of 6.7( pre nutes) to 4.5 after everything is added and mixed for 3 hours. My source water is the same. Taking a page from Oldhippy I really wanted to watch where my PPM was. When I checked the soup we were around 1800 ppm. Between nutes, Cal/Mag and hydroguard I wasnt surprised as this was the week that bloom nutes increased dramatically in the soup. To get the pH to stabilize and not jack up the ppm any more with pH up, I added another full gallon of RO water to bring my res to 8 gallons in total but mixed nutes to 7 gal volume. Any top offs will include hydroguard and Cal/Mag. When I read about this genetic it said it wasnt a big stretcher but I flipped to flower on a friday/saturday to correlate with res change but I am kicking myself for not switching them a few days sooner when Oldhippy suggested it. The wisdom from just looking at pictures! He knew it was probably too late already and gave me fair warning. Out of the 5 plants I had 4 top branches grow into the glass. I have rigged it up a bit with some rubber garden wire utilizing some lower fan leave stems and gave them a gentle bend to keep them off the glass as I have at least 4 more weeks of flower time. I have 8 clones of these girls in a 2x4.5x6.5 foot tent so I shouldn't grow into my light if i follow the same plan of veg for 3-4 weeks and then flip to flower. I turned on the C02 and it looks like the are loving it. With the height I am unable to really get under the lid but I have the front right site for access to check out as much as I can and to shop vac out the water. This has definitely been a fun and exciting learning experience.

Attachments

oldhippy

Start of week 4 flower today with a reservoir change. I re calibrated 2 different pH pens today to make sure I wasnt going crazy and my source RO water hadnt changed. The last few res changes I have made has seen a drop in pH of 6.7( pre nutes) to 4.5 after everything is added and mixed for 3 hours. My source water is the same. Taking a page from Oldhippy I really wanted to watch where my PPM was. When I checked the soup we were around 1800 ppm. Between nutes, Cal/Mag and hydroguard I wasnt surprised as this was the week that bloom nutes increased dramatically in the soup. To get the pH to stabilize and not jack up the ppm any more with pH up, I added another full gallon of RO water to bring my res to 8 gallons in total but mixed nutes to 7 gal volume. Any top offs will include hydroguard and Cal/Mag. When I read about this genetic it said it wasnt a big stretcher but I flipped to flower on a friday/saturday to correlate with res change but I am kicking myself for not switching them a few days sooner when Oldhippy suggested it. The wisdom from just looking at pictures! He knew it was probably too late already and gave me fair warning. Out of the 5 plants I had 4 top branches grow into the glass. I have rigged it up a bit with some rubber garden wire utilizing some lower fan leave stems and gave them a gentle bend to keep them off the glass as I have at least 4 more weeks of flower time. I have 8 clones of these girls in a 2x4.5x6.5 foot tent so I shouldn't grow into my light if i follow the same plan of veg for 3-4 weeks and then flip to flower. I turned on the C02 and it looks like the are loving it. With the height I am unable to really get under the lid but I have the front right site for access to check out as much as I can and to shop vac out the water. This has definitely been a fun and exciting learning experience.
I love you brother. My heart swells with anticipation for the happiness and warmth you are going to experience with your first harvest. God bless you man. Peace and Love.

oldhippy

One thing, it appears that your soup is still a bit too hot. You see the brown and yellow tips of some of your leaves ... that is an indication of nutrient burn. The feeding schedule is only a guide. The more you tune into your plants instead of feeding schedules designed by the very people who profit from selling you nutes the more you will be blessed. I suggest you back off the nutes just a tad. Rock and roll my soon to be Jedi. Grow with your heart and experience the bliss that is coming your way.

Austin P

One thing, it appears that your soup is still a bit too hot. You see the brown and yellow tips of some of your leaves ... that is an indication of nutrient burn. The feeding schedule is only a guide. The more you tune into your plants instead of feeding schedules designed by the very people who profit from selling you nutes the more you will be blessed. I suggest you back off the nutes just a tad. Rock and roll my soon to be Jedi. Grow with your heart and experience the bliss that is coming your way.
I'm thinking that top offs this week might just be pH balanced water with nothing else. Give it a chance to dilute. Next res change I will pull back 10% on feeding and see of tip burn reducing. Thank you for the guidance my friend!

oldhippy

I'm thinking that top offs this week might just be pH balanced water with nothing else. Give it a chance to dilute. Next res change I will pull back 10% on feeding and see of tip burn reducing. Thank you for the guidance my friend!
Your welcome brother. When you reduce your nutes go ahead and clip those dis-colored tips off, not the whole leaf, just the tips. That way you won't confuse any new signs from your plant with those you are currently addressing. Your girls want to look pretty for the prom. lol. Peace and Love.

Austin P

start of week 5 and week 6 of flower not much to update. Just monitoring nutes to keep it not too hot but lady's got a bit burnt. also since they stretched to the glass I tried to move the branches out from under the middle to reduce the light bleaching as much as possible. its is looking tasty and smelling great.

Attachments

Austin P

I start my flush in 3 days and will roll with PH'd RO water for 7 days and I will check trichomes again. We are getting the clear to cloudy change happening now with about 1/3 turning cloudy on the top buds. Some of the lower stuff is more clear. the attached picture was one of the lower buds that didnt get cut off. I didn't achieve the lolipop I was intending. I am now using the rule of thirds with the bottom 3rd being bare, the next 3rd removing all fan leave and the top 3rd removing about 1/2 of the fan leaves. This 2nd grow is about 2nd week of flower so around the time these first plants are cured, I will be cutting down the next harvest. Other than Cal/Mag and Hydroguard, as well as flipping the air stones to 02 Grow emitter, we are using the silver tier nutrients and all buds are dense and frosty. The smell on these buds is a little on the sweet side but not like candy. It is one of the most pleasant aroma's I have experienced. I am in love with growing my own medicine!

Attachments

oldhippy

I start my flush in 3 days and will roll with PH'd RO water for 7 days and I will check trichomes again. We are getting the clear to cloudy change happening now with about 1/3 turning cloudy on the top buds. Some of the lower stuff is more clear. the attached picture was one of the lower buds that didnt get cut off. I didn't achieve the lolipop I was intending. I am now using the rule of thirds with the bottom 3rd being bare, the next 3rd removing all fan leave and the top 3rd removing about 1/2 of the fan leaves. This 2nd grow is about 2nd week of flower so around the time these first plants are cured, I will be cutting down the next harvest. Other than Cal/Mag and Hydroguard, as well as flipping the air stones to 02 Grow emitter, we are using the silver tier nutrients and all buds are dense and frosty. The smell on these buds is a little on the sweet side but not like candy. It is one of the most pleasant aroma's I have experienced. I am in love with growing my own medicine!
And we are in love with you my dear friend. Congratulations on a job well done. You're a natural. My heart is full of joy for you. God bless you man. Peace and love.